Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my 99 SE, the brake system warning light on the bottom right of the instrument cluster lights up occasionally when accelerating. I didn't know what it was, but I looked in my manual a few minutes ago here and found out. Here is what it says.. "Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately." I guess its pretty self explanatory here.. I'll go check the brake fluid tomorrow morning, but I'm just wondering anyway.. it only lights up for about a second under quick acceleration from a stop basically.

I'm at 58,000 miles here.. I have put no more than 2,000 miles on it since I bought it in August 03, but the only real maintenance I've done is a new serpentine belt and DPFE sensor. I'm going to be changing the oil and filter, and buying a new air filter as well. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

B

·
0 Posts
If the fluid is a little low, when accelerating it will cause the light to come on momentarily, as you're experiencing. Check the fluid and add as needed, and let us know if the problem went away.

As far as the other maintenance, do you have any prior records of what has been done to the car? If not, you may want to cover all the basics, so that you have a baseline to start from.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the fluid is low it is because the pads are worn. You probably need them replaced. Do not use cheap ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brake fluid is a little low. I'll be going out to buy some this afternoon.

I don't have any maintenance records.. the car was a rental car before I bought it though. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.. heh. The car is running smooth though, it hasn't given me any problems while I've had it.

J

·
0 Posts
If it was a rental and you don't have maintenance records, I would highly recommend doing the basics like Bob suggested. Tranny fluid flush, cooling system flush, get the brakes inspected (like Paul said, your pads could be worn), drawing blanks right now... that's all I can think of for some reason, lol. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The extra brake fluid fixed that problem.. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to get the car ready for winter here, we got about 5 inches of snow over the past three days.. its way too early even for Alaska. Anyways.. I'm changing over to studded tires on Friday and changing the oil as well. I'll see what I can do about the transmission fluid and cooling system

1 - 6 of 6 Posts