Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2001 Taurus SE with a Duratec 24V engine.

In the previous thread we worked on the several CEL codes, vacuum leaks, etc (thread : http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/168985-recommended-maintenance-egr-fuel-system-2.html )

When last worked on, the car starts and runs ok, other than low idle is kind of rough.

So my sister went home and called me that her brakes are going out. Seems to happen in low idle situations, lets say around a shopping center parking, she goes to brake, the pedal does NOT go down, it holds firm, but the car keeps rolling. It takes a lot of pressure to make it stop.

Of course, I thought if vacuum assisted this could relate tot he vacuum leak I figure is still haunting me. I replaced several hoses when working on it, but there are a couple of connections to the intake hose (between MAF and TB) I am not confident about.

So, vacuum assisted brakes

- anybody has a diagram or link to one?
- where does the vacuum comes from or links to on the system?

I want to check any hoses/connections before I assume the booster has a problem or leak in it. It would help me to locate the components.

Thanks.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/168985-recommended-maintenance-egr-fuel-system-2.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this image. Seems similar to what I saw on the car. Besides the hose from the booster to the vacuum connector, would like to know if anybody knows where the vacuum connector connects to the intake manifold vacuum system. Unfortunately, I don't have the car here now so I can't go outside and trace the lines. :-/

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
The car is a 2001 Taurus SE with a Duratec 24V engine.

In the previous thread we worked on the several CEL codes, vacuum leaks, etc (thread : http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/168985-recommended-maintenance-egr-fuel-system-2.html )

When last worked on, the car starts and runs ok, other than low idle is kind of rough.

So my sister went home and called me that her brakes are going out. Seems to happen in low idle situations, lets say around a shopping center parking, she goes to brake, the pedal does NOT go down, it holds firm, but the car keeps rolling. It takes a lot of pressure to make it stop.

Of course, I thought if vacuum assisted this could relate tot he vacuum leak I figure is still haunting me. I replaced several hoses when working on it, but there are a couple of connections to the intake hose (between MAF and TB) I am not confident about.

So, vacuum assisted brakes

- anybody has a diagram or link to one?
- where does the vacuum comes from or links to on the system?

I want to check any hoses/connections before I assume the booster has a problem or leak in it. It would help me to locate the components.

Thanks.
See pic for hoses from manifold to brake booster.

Hose from dist block to booster hard to see.

-chart-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another similar, for a Taurus SHO... while the diagrams differ slightly, they are very similar so it gives me a good idea of where things are. It still doesn't show where the vacuum connector gets it's vacuum from...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Chartmaker, great, thanks!

That hose that leaves towards the TB (it seems), where does it connect? To the black flex intake hose? o the TB? To the IM itself?

I am going to ask my brother there to chase it make sure is connected properly, or even replace it if questionable. A couple of the hoses I replaced crumbled when I squeezed them, but I am sure I did not replace that hose.

Now I can't remember if I connected that particular hose, but I had no disconnected hoses when I was done, so I figure I did. Thanks for the pic, very helpful.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The main vac line that goes to the distribution block and to the brakes is on the back side of the UIM near the TB or is under on the underside of the UIM near the TB. It is fairly large in size, i think it is the size of a large piece of air line.

There should be a spring style hose clap holding it on from the factory. He might want to replace it with a worm style clamp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhhh I remember that hose now. Pain in the rear end to unplug because of the clamp. Mine had two clamps close to each other making an elbow, like a clamp right on the connector and then a short tube and another clamp onto an L that then ran a hose along the firewall towards the black box (vacuum distribution).

Thanks, now I know the hose, and I know it was NOT replaced. I am going to make sure it is checked carefully or maybe just replace it for safety, I am not going to take a chance. All the other hoses were horrible, so I can pretty much assume this one is as well. If the hose is replaced and the problem continues, I can continue the chase. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay, but wanted to give a solution/result.

My sister took the car as is, since the vacuum failure made the brakes harder, but they operate. While the car was gone I purchased upper and lower intake manifold gaskets (at dealer, lowers are quite expensive for little rubber "O"s). So when she came back it was a quick job : took it all apart (once you do it once, it goes quick the second time). Replaced lower and upper intake manifold gaskets.

The only hose I found loose was right on the underside of the MAF. There are TWO hoses there, a big thick one that had collapsed and I had replaced (with a heavy duty clamp) and a thinner (still thick, but not as thick as the first one) that plugs right next to it. The thinner one was off, not sure if it came off or my mistake.

Anyway, once back together, PERFECTION. The car runs perfect. Perfect idle, I mean, like new. Very sweet. And it all took maybe 30 minutes at a leisure pace. All hoses are secure, I even fixed the cruise control cable (I had ordered a new one as well).

Thank you all for your nice help and guidance. In June she is going on a trip and the car will stay here, I will then do the windshield wiper water bottle (cracked), the headlights (also cracked) and some minor internal cosmetic issues. Not bad for a $3K/136K mile car. That 24v engine is very nice. I am even thinking of getting one for myself. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
30 minutes? sheesh, think I have taken lower off four times and it sure takes at least an hour just to remove parts that are in the way (upper intake, fuel rails, main wire harness, pcv tubes, throttle body, misc connectors, etc..)

all those vacuum hoses that connect to intake/brake booster/air outlet flex tube (between maf/air filter housing and throttle body) have been discontinued and are very difficult to obtain. having some vacuum issues where that 'L' connector is, seems I am using incorrect hose.

does anyone know approx ID of this hose? 1/2" fits very loose and 3/8" is very tight. I threw away the original hoses thinking did not need them anymore, should have kept a piece for reference. hose in question connects from brake vacuum box to an 90 elbow connector which is then connected to about another 1" hose which connects to intake right after the throttle body. will attach photo to be more clear

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
My '03 had a very hard brake pedal when I bought it. Car stopped but you had to really step on the pedal. I thought the booster was bad but on a stop on gravel the rears where locking up. Turns out both front brake hoses where bad. Front hose brackets rusted? That's where my hoses were pinched closed.
Car had new pads & rotors on it when I bought it from widow.
Just a thought if vacuum lines check out ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just realized this thread is more of a brake issue. guess it is somewhat related.

found my vacuum leak which was at throttle body, assuming after removing it five times the gasket had enough even if it was a few months old. same deal with plenum/upper intake manifold and idle air control gaskets. the number three injector wire harness/connector went bad sometime after doing a complete engine gasket job but took me some time to pinpoint the fault. after several times of removing upper intake the gaskets had been compressed enough that they were not no longer sealing completely. so a total of about $20 in gaskets would have solved my vacuum leak. instead my vehicle now has a new maf, tps, iac valve, egr valve, egr pressure feedback (dpfe) sensor, egr vacuum regulator, pcv, pcv tube, pcv to intake connector, intake air valve seal. along with a slightly used air intake flex tube, someone ripped mine at both ends where the clamps are situated.

purchased these gaskets today and confident that after installing them my rough idle will go away. say this because before the injector issue it ran great and no codes have appeared.

there is one other issue my vehicle has and that is the harsh 1 to 2 shift after driving for a while related to the transmission valve body. purchased the valve body a couple of months ago, reason have not installed it is due to this southern california heat. hopefully it starts to cool down soon

in reference to my original question, the hose size is 15/32 which is printed on piece happen to find in the trash. someone removed the clamps and forgot to put them back, could have been me but do not remember removing this hose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
15/32 ID Vacuum Brake Hose, SAE1403 106VL Type L, Gates 27233 equivalent part (3' length, cut to size req'd) this hose has a larger OD than typical 15/32
no hose clamps are used at Brake manifold or 90 elbow, which is why I did not see them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts