Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake rotors are rusted quite severely, in my opinion. I would like the opinion of others, as to whether or not I should do something about it, or just leave them as is. As of now I plan on sanding and painting them, but have an extremely tight schedule and am not certain if time will permit. I got my 2013 SEL off of a used car lot out here in VA, and it's quit obvious it sat for awhile before I picked it up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
That is perfectly normal. Dont worry about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2011 Edge's rotors came from the factory with some kind of black coating and have held up really well in Michigan. I used some cheap Advanced Auto rotors on the Taurus and they look identical to your pics. I wouldn't bother painting them at this point but I plan on painting my next set of new rotors before I install them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Take them off, as long as they aren't rotting on the back them you should be fine. Personally, I would think about replacing with some painted ones soon. EBC sells brake kits with painted rotors that I use

·
Registered
418 Posts
Harmless typical brake rust. I'd just toss the wheel on and keep driving.

Of course of it bugs you, they make rotors with painted center hats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Rust like that may cause your aluminum wheels to bond to the rotors and also can cause some pulsations in your braking. You should clean them up every once in a while. Inside hub surface is equally as important.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is definitely an eye sore on what is otherwise a very handsome vehicle, but if there is no practical reason to get rid of it, then I won't bother for the time being. I spoke to a gentleman in the maintenance department at a major Ford dealership in my area, who basically said the same things you all are saying i.e that it is typical and nothing to be concerned about. Thanks for the help good Sirs!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Harmless typical brake rust. I'd just toss the wheel on and keep driving.
Almost.

The brake rust can affect your lugs. Clean the area where the wheel touches the rotor, otherwise the lugs can loosen. Check the wheels and lugs also.

If you must toss the wheel on and keep driving, check the lug snugness once a week for the first several weeks (once every few days for the first couple of weeks).

Yea, the odds are slim, but it's not much effort for your safety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts