Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm BBbaaaaack :( '94 Taurus is still running....God bless it's bell pepper green soul :) I'm nearing the 300,000 mile mark. Last year, my brake light would come on when I applied the brakes. When I let up, the light would go off. It was suggested on here that I could be low on brake fluid. So....I put some in. Problem went away, and stayed away. However, now it's back 2 weeks ago. Could I be low on fluid again? Does brake fluid need to be replaced yearly? Also....my clock? I noticed a few days ago that (for example)...when the clock reads 10:21...the 1" goes dim until it almost disappears. Then the "2" goes dim and suddenly..."BLIP" the clock goes black. After a few minutes, it blips back on as bright as ever with no dimming of the numbers. Is this the battery going bad? Alternator maybe? As usual...help is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (EllisW @ Mar 1 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704238
I'm BBbaaaaack :( '94 Taurus is still running....God bless it's bell pepper green soul :) I'm nearing the 300,000 mile mark. Last year, my brake light would come on when I applied the brakes. When I let up, the light would go off. It was suggested on here that I could be low on brake fluid. So....I put some in. Problem went away, and stayed away. However, now it's back 2 weeks ago. Could I be low on fluid again? Does brake fluid need to be replaced yearly? Also....my clock? I noticed a few days ago that (for example)...when the clock reads 10:21...the 1" goes dim until it almost disappears. Then the "2" goes dim and suddenly..."BLIP" the clock goes black. After a few minutes, it blips back on as bright as ever with no dimming of the numbers. Is this the battery going bad? Alternator maybe? As usual...help is greatly appreciated :)[/b]

More than likely the brake fluid in your Master Cylinder Reservoir is low. If you have not had your brakes replaced in awhile, the pads are probably worn down. When this happens the fluid drains into the lines from the Master Cylinder Reservoir. If that reservoir gets too low, then the Brake light comes on.

For a temporary fix, add some DOT-3 Brake fluid. For a longer term fix, replace your brakes and flush the lines.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Your brake system need to get flushed, you have dirt/air trapped in the brake lines thats making the system lose pressure. Those older Ford stereo units wear out, the displays burn out, but you can still sorta read them in bright light. Doesn't affect the operation of the stereo, though, you're going to have to program the presets now. My old '93 Taurus stereo burned out long before yours did, at 140k, the bad part is its hard to find the same stereo at a junkyard that the display isn't burned out as well. I would flush out those dangerous brakes before thinking about the radio, for now. Worst case is you need a new master cylinder, calipers, or a wheel cylinder. My master cylinder went at only 54k on my '07 Taurus :dunno:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I'm wondering what a master cylinder and all that stuff will run :( As for the clock, it sits on near the top of the dash....it's not attached to the stereo. But I don't think it's serious...I just don't want the battery going or anything. I know I need a new serpentine belt (haven't replaced that yet :;gulp::) and one mechanic told me the EGR valve needed replacing which is why the check engine light comes on...but with all this stuff, the bill turned me into a zombie :( I can't afford everything, but I know I need brakes and the belt...the rest will have to wait. It still runs great though...poor ol' thing!

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (EllisW @ Mar 3 2009, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705084
Thanks for the replies! I'm wondering what a master cylinder and all that stuff will run :( As for the clock, it sits on near the top of the dash....it's not attached to the stereo. But I don't think it's serious...I just don't want the battery going or anything. I know I need a new serpentine belt (haven't replaced that yet :;gulp::) and one mechanic told me the EGR valve needed replacing which is why the check engine light comes on...but with all this stuff, the bill turned me into a zombie :( I can't afford everything, but I know I need brakes and the belt...the rest will have to wait. It still runs great though...poor ol' thing![/b]

May I suggest the Gatorback belt. Also, when you have it off, you may want to check the Idler pulley. If you give it a spin and it doesn't slow down (within a sec or two due to the grease in there) you may want to change that as well, while you have the belt off. Cheap part and easy to do yourself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Mar 3 2009, 06:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705091
QUOTE (EllisW @ Mar 3 2009, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705084
Thanks for the replies! I'm wondering what a master cylinder and all that stuff will run :( As for the clock, it sits on near the top of the dash....it's not attached to the stereo. But I don't think it's serious...I just don't want the battery going or anything. I know I need a new serpentine belt (haven't replaced that yet :;gulp::) and one mechanic told me the EGR valve needed replacing which is why the check engine light comes on...but with all this stuff, the bill turned me into a zombie :( I can't afford everything, but I know I need brakes and the belt...the rest will have to wait. It still runs great though...poor ol' thing![/b]

May I suggest the Gatorback belt. Also, when you have it off, you may want to check the Idler pulley. If you give it a spin and it doesn't slow down (within a sec or two due to the grease in there) you may want to change that as well, while you have the belt off. Cheap part and easy to do yourself.

Good luck!
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...is replacing the serpentine belt hard? I have a 94 Taurus wagon...now I'm needing to replace the laft headlamp :( Seems like it's all coming apart little by little hehehe. But as I said. I can only do so much :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts