Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, since ive had my '96 ive had constant brake problems. Finally broke down and bought 4 new calipers, rotors and all new hardware. Bled, lubed and installed everything properly. 6 months later one set of my rear pads is already worn to the point i need to replace it, and one set in the front also. The other set have plenty of life. Not understanding whats wrong.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To make a long story short, since ive had my '96 ive had constant brake problems. Finally broke down and bought 4 new calipers, rotors and all new hardware. Bled, lubed and installed everything properly. 6 months later one set of my rear pads is already worn to the point i need to replace it, and one set in the front also. The other set have plenty of life. Not understanding whats wrong.
I would check and verify that the caliper slide pins are not rusted or hanging up.

When you say you put all new hardware on, did you replace the hydraulic brake hoses to the calipers ?

If they are original, I would say that is your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check and verify that the caliper slide pins are not rusted or hanging up.

When you say you put all new hardware on, did you replace the hydraulic brake hoses to the calipers ?

If they are original, I would say that is your problem.
The slide pins are well lubed and move freely. When you say hydraulic brake hoses are you talking about the rubber lines that go to the calipers? If so, no i havent replaced those yet. I will look into replacing those. Is that an item easily found at autozone or napa?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and yes. Also a good idea next time to lube the slide pins with never-seize, esp. the rears.
I used sil-glide on the brake parts to lubricate. I was under the impression that anti seize wasnt meant for high temp applications. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
NeverSieze Pure Nickel Special is rated up to 2500 deg. F.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
It seems to stay put longer (a plus on the rears) and not wash or bake out as readily. 3M puts out a copper-based variety labeled as brake lube. Ive used the nickel or copper-based in the past, whatever i have on hand. I simply make it part of ea. brake service (front or rear) to pull, clean and relube caliper slide pins.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well I hope it never gets that hot!:lol2:. Is there an advantage to using the anti seize over the silicone lube?
Yes, you can use it on every single threaded fastener on your car. Spark plugs too. I also put it on wheel hubs where they contact rotors and drums. A little bit goes a long ways. As Sheila mentioned, it doesn't wash out. I have a 16oz. can with brush-in-cap that I have been using for 20+ years. It's not empty yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts