Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I noticed that in the morning when I first started the car, a sqealing noise would come from the rear brakes. Once I stopped a couple times and it was all warmed up, it quit sqealing. Today I noticed that when I would go along a building at low speeds I could hear an on and off sqeaking coming from what sounded like the rear brakes. I was headed to the mall and I had been driving for about 20 minutes and was sitting in traffic. I took off from a traffic light and when coming to a stop at the next one, my brake pedal went all the way to the floor and I barely stopped. :eek: Scared the :poop: outta me!! :blink: So I went really, really slow and pulled into the mall parking lot, turned off the car, checked the brake fluid level - it was fine. Sat there a few minutes trying to think aobut what I could do. So I called Bob, first thing he asked was about the fluid and we went through a few things on the phone but come to no conclusion other than the fact that the problem with the rear brake squealing is probably related to this. So, I thought about calling a tow truck (Ford Roadside Assistance - it wouldn't cost me anything) and while I was thinking about what to do I went ahead in the mall and got what I came for. When I came back out to the car, I decided to go to a big empty parking lot area and check out the brakes. They felt back to normal for the most part, but still a little spongy. (This was after the car sat for about 1/2 hour). So I decided to try going home. I went on all back roads with low traffic and the drive would be nearly 1/2 hour. The brakes felt about the same as they did in the parking lot until I got within 2 miles of my house and then I had the pedal going way down again. It was a low traffic area with a two lane road so I went ahead and got home. At the last stop sign in my neighborhood before I turned onto my street, the pedal went ALL THE WAY down to the floor and I barely stopped and the "low fuel" light came on. :unsure: Yes, I'm 100% sure it was the low fuel light. I checked the fluid after I got home and the level it is still full. So now the car sits in my driveway and I plan to take it to the dealership in the morning. I have the PremiumCare warranty, so I just have to pay a deductible. But anybody have any ideas what happened or what's going on? It just doesn't make sense to me, pretty scary actually. :blink:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump:

no ideas, huh? :huh: Well it's now in the hands of my friendly local Lincoln-Mercury dealer. I'll be sure to post what they find. :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Is it a squeal, or a "whooo" sound? My rear brakes make the whoo sound sometimes when I've just started the car after not using it for awhile. Fluids are fine and the pads are in good condition. I think one of the rear rotors might been out of true. It started making it a few weeks after I bought the car, and the dealer ground the rotors, then it came back a year later, and when I changed all four rotors and pads, nothing. It comes back intermittently lately though...

You obviously have rear drums on your car, so the rotor stuff doesn't apply...just realized that...

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Are you the only driver of the car? Do you use the parking brake when you leave the car parked?

Kinda sounds like someone drove with the parking brake on, or the parking brake is frozen.....

if the rear shoes are toasted, be sure to purge the old fluid and replace with new. The old fluid will be cooked and dark brown. Replace with Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4 if you can.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm the only driver of the car and I always use the parking brake.

I'd believe it got frozen, but I haven't driven with it stuck on. :)

I just got the car back and they "replaced the rear brakes" and all seems good now. :banana: I think they just replaced the shoes and whatever else is in drums (I don't remember what drum parts are called :ph34r: ) So I guess that's all it was. :unsure: So, the moral of this story is get your drums inspected once in a while.... or just do a rear disc conversion. ;)

btw... this happend with 54k miles on the car.

Thanks for the tips guys. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts