Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had a scare when I stepped on the brake but the pedal went to the floor. I pumped the pedal a couple of times & the brakes barely slowed the car. I noticed that the parking brake was still on, litely engaged. I released the parking brake. I didn't notice any burning smell from inside the car.
I tried the brakes several times but went through the same sequence as above each time(with the parking brake off).
I guessed that driving with the parking brake partially engaged for 2-3 miles had worn the rear shoes down far enough that the rear brakes were now ineffective(faded?).
I went to a parking lot, reversed the car & braked hard several times to attempt to adjust the rear brakes. This seemed to restore the brakes to normal.
This little experience raises a couple of questions in my mind;
1) Is it reasonable that the brakes would have worn down from dragging & overheating in this short of a period/mileage ?
2) Have others found that the parking brake has to be very firmly pressed to make it obvious to the driver that the brakes are engaged? I have noticed that other members of the family do not do this resulting in the likelyhood that the above experience will be repeated. The warning light was working during the above, but was not effective as the bright sun was shining on the dash, making it difficult to see.
3)Is there some way of adjusting the rear brakes/parking brake to get around these problems? I haven't Done anything yet.
Art Sale
2001 Taurus SE

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Sounds like low brake fluid to me. If your parking brake was on, you'd definatly have the rear wheels locked up if it was fully engaged. You would have heard tire squaling if the wheels were locked. If the parking brake was slightly engaged, it shouldn't be a huge problem, only slight wear. If the rear brakes were gone, you'd only lose maybe 40% of all your braking since your fronts would have still worked.

G

·
This shouldn't have worn out the brakes, but it probably heated up the fluid enough to fade them. Once the fluid cooled, everything went back to normal. You may want to flush the brake fluid, just to be on the safe side, and check the rear brakes.

G

·
I had the EXACT same problem on my car last fall sometime... I wound up just having the rear drums rebuilt (new shoes, etc.). But if you're going to do that, I would recommend just doing a rear disc brake conversion. I did that a couple months ago and am VERY happy with the results. B)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following my post last summer, I took the car to the local Ford Dealer. They replaced the rear drums & shoes($500).
I complained to them about the parking brake design ie it takes a fair amount of force to properly apply the parking brake. I got no response. The expensive rear brake job did not noticably change brake performance.
Art Sale

G

·
Originally posted by Art Sale@Apr 16 2005, 11:08 PM
Following my post last summer, I took the car to the local Ford Dealer. They replaced the rear drums & shoes($500).
I complained to them about the parking brake design ie it takes a fair amount of force to properly apply the parking brake. I got no response. The expensive rear brake job did not noticably change brake performance.
Art Sale
$500 for a rear brake job!! :eek: That is COMPLETELY rediculous! Is that all they did for that price? My Lincoln-Mercury dealer did my rear brake job for a total of $97. :unsure: :blink:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Apr 16 2005, 10:19 PM
$500 for a rear brake job!! :eek: That is COMPLETELY rediculous! Is that all they did for that price? My Lincoln-Mercury dealer did my rear brake job for a total of $97. :unsure: :blink:
If your brake job for $97 at the dealership included new drums then somebody messed up your bill.

G

·
Originally posted by sfontain+Apr 16 2005, 11:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sfontain @ Apr 16 2005, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jason8225@Apr 16 2005, 10:19 PM
$500 for a rear brake job!!  :eek:  That is COMPLETELY rediculous!  Is that all they did for that price?  My Lincoln-Mercury dealer did my rear brake job for a total of $97.  :unsure:  :blink:
If your brake job for $97 at the dealership included new drums then somebody messed up your bill. [/b][/quote]
Ooops, I misread that - I didn't get an entire new drum assembly... They re-used my old ones... new shoes and internal junk is all I got. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts