Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Taurus. Brakes have been fine. changed rotors and pads on front 2 months ago. No issues since. Daughter came home and said brakes were wierd. I drove the car: pedal very mushy then braking at end of travel,, but pulls a little left and right. No appearance of fluid at wheels or master. fluid level good. Couldnt feel any cracks in vaccuum hose. detached hose from little black plastic box in front of drivers position. strong suction. blocked it and daughter said brake pedal was hard. reattached and brakes almost normal. what is the box the vaccuum lines go to? does this sound like master or booster? When pushing pedal engine on and off, same pedal feel; goes down then stiff by floor.no signs of leaking on lines under car.No loaud hissing sounds from booster. My guess is Booster.????????
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mushy pedal is almost always related to air in the lines, you will probably need to bleed the lines to rule this out, which is conveniently a lot cheaper than replacing parts.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
That blk. box is a vac. junction block fed by the intake. If you look closely at the front where the 4 hoses connect, youll see lettering identifying: bb (brake booster), ai (air intake), ac (air cond.) and s (?). Probably when you disconnected the vac. line there you cut off vac. to the booster which is why pedal got hard. I would try a fluid flush and 4-wheel brake bleed and if unsuccessful, then turn my attention to the master cylinder.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Check the flex hoses (front and back) too while you have someone press on the brakes just to rule out you don't have one bulging and ready to break. Sometimes when you replace the rotors the flex hoses get pulled and stretched which could cause a failure. That's also when it would be easy to get air into the lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.