Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temperature (warm) related brake pedal return problem. Warm weather vs. cold, the pedal does not return as it should. My mechanic does not know what it could be. They had determined it's probably inside since past the firewall, there are no devices which could keep the push rod from not returning.

This is and has been an issue for a few years. In warm weather, this occurs and after using the brake, you have to put your foot under the pedal and lift it up, and then it will stay there until used again. Problem is, this is intermittent and does not occur every time, about 80% it does. Works just fine in the winter seasons.

My mechanic had lubed the rubber boot at the firewall but does not fix it. I see no return springs anywhere and it appears at the firewall that rubber boot area could have some type of return mechanism inside of it.

Does anyone know what makes the brake pedal return and what might be the issue?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It's the booster that has an internal spring. Some people have put a helper spring on the pedal to fix this.

·
Registered
732 Posts
booster is correct and make sure ur pedal aint getting hung up. alos pull up on it while watching i bet the shaft out of the back of the booster is diconnected. i just replaced one at work just like that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is interesting since I couldn't figure out where the return "spring" or mechanism was to return the pedal. By popular tech opinion, my old mechanic replaced the power brake "booster" which did not fix the issue so I am guessing there could be some bind or a worn part at the firewall. Later, after that didn't work, the master cylinder was replaced.

Unfortunately, there's not much to look for without major disassembly wild goose hunt.
Is there anything at the firewall which could restrict the return of the rod/pedal? I am presuming there is a restriction since the booster got replaced and didn't correct it for the $400 fee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts