Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Taurus 2013 sel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a new member here, I wanted to take it from those who actually own one or have a knowledge of the car.

I've Taurus 2013 SEL, I bought it recently it has 60k KM and it's in great shape.

Once I got it, I had to change the rear brake pads due to registration processes. The change involved chaning the rear rubber washer (which I don't know the real name of, but it's a rubber washer located inside a cylinder in the rear brake) and a bleeding was properly done. Right after this job, I started to experience soft pedal and the pedal was sinking to the ground. After further inspection, the master cylinder required a complete rebuild (cleaning and tightining the washers inside).

After that (having the fact that I'm new to the car) I noticed that the first push on the pedal the distance it travels is almost 2 cm till the car starts to slow down and once I push more it takes a somehow firm brake then push more I experience ABS (in case care is moving fast). The second instant push is firm and doesn't require any travel distance.

Now I wanted to check with all of you the standard travel distance in your Taurus is the same of not. Below is a illustration of what I'm experiencing

[ = this is the brake pedal
| = this is the "floor"
. = travel distance indicators

illustrated distance
[......|

...[....| --> 1st push starts to slow down the car gradually.

.[......| --> 2nd instant push, starts to firmly slow down the car - without engaging the ABS

p/s the travel space in 1st push is alwasy consistent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you had all that work done and all checks out mechanically, I'd say that's probably as good as it's going to get. Brakes on American cars are designed/calibrated to be soft pillows so you don't spill the 1/2 gallon coke in your hand. Seems a wrong thing to be concerned about for car manufacturers but our dumb public demands I guess so the "first" push is long and soft. Not long ago, I had a chance to directly compare my friend's recently acquired, brand new Fusion to an equally brand new Mondeo (European Fusion). Same exact car, brakes: not even from the same planet.

·
Registered
Taurus 2013 sel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had all that work done and all checks out mechanically, I'd say that's probably as good as it's going to get. Brakes on American cars are designed/calibrated to be soft pillows so you don't spill the 1/2 gallon coke in your hand. Seems a wrong thing to be concerned about for car manufacturers but our dumb public demands I guess so the "first" push is long and soft. Not long ago, I had a chance to directly compare my friend's recently acquired, brand new Fusion to an equally brand new Mondeo (European Fusion). Same exact car, brakes: not even from the same planet.
Hey, thank you for your reply.
Well, that could be the case.

Just to add:
When I called the mechanic (who performed the rebuild and bleeding) again to explain the situation, he said that since your car is older models and it has been parked for a while, your ABS system has some residuals and it needs to be engaged at least 3 times a day for extended two weeks and you might feel a difference.

The other mechanic (who performed pad changes and initial bleeding) said it's normal since the pads and the rotors are getting used to each other, it might take a while till the pedal will feel normal again.

Thank you for your valuable inputs, again.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Sounds to me like the mechanic didnt bleed the system properly. If he had the correct high quality scan tool, he could have exercised the ABS during the bleeding procedure.

The getto way to bleed the ABS is to find a wet road or gravel road with no traffic and do 10 or so "panic stops".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts