Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone inform me...(step by step prefered
) on how to change the FRONT brake pads on a 2001 Taurus? Mine needs done really soon or else I'm going to need new rotors. Help!! If anyone has pics of how to do it that would be great!

-Kyle

B

·
0 Posts
-Raise car and support safely
-Remove wheel
-Remove 2 caliper bolts, caliper and brake pads
-Replace pads with new ones
-Using a large c-clamp or caliper tool (avail. at Autozone), compress piston into caliper.
-Replace caliper and bolts.

You're done! Doing it this way should take no more than an hour or so.

If you need to replace or resurface the rotors, you'll also need to remove the caliper bracket.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the help Bob. I really appreciate it. BIG QUESTION: Do I need to bleed the brakes to do this, and if so, how do I do that???? I'm getting some new Motocraft ones hopefully, and this is the first time we will be doing it. Can you ( or anyone else ) show me a write up about switching from drum to disc in the back? I remember reading about it on here awhile ago but haven't seen anything in a long time. I have some gen 2 SHO's I could get the rear discs off from...would those work on a gen 4?

-Kyle

·
Registered
902 Posts
it is recomemded to before pushing the caliper pistons back clamp the hose of gently undo the bleed nipple and then expel all the brake fluid,this prevents sending dirt into the abs unit,when you have done unclamp and undo the nipples : let the brake fluid drip top up master and then have someone pump the pedal and slowly undo the nipple to let old fluid and air out.

B

·
0 Posts
For rear disc, you'll need a Gen 3 Knuckles, hubs, rotors, calipers, brackets, brake hoses, and e-brake cables. The Gen 2 uses a different size knuckle AFAIK.

BTW, if those Gen 2's are 94 or 95, you can sell the front knuckles/hubs to someone to use for the 96 SHO brake upgrade that everyone does on the Gen 1 and 2 SHO's.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by mufflerman@Dec 28 2003, 09:33 AM
: let the brake fluid drip top up master and then have someone pump the pedal and slowly undo the nipple to let old fluid and air out.
What the heck does let the brake fluid "drip top up master...." mean???

·
Registered
902 Posts
open the caliper bleed nipple and let the brake fluid run out(force of gravity) and when the fluid comes out that means it has to come from some where open the hood and you will see at the firewall a big round circular object (booster) and a little round plastic thingy(master cylinder)with a round black cap open this cap and add brake fluid dot 3 which you buy at your auto place.after tigten bleed nipple at caliper .then get some one in car(who has legs and feet) and tell him to pump the black square thingy(brake pedal) and to keep his foot on it.you then open the nipple a little bit and then close it quick,then pump again and re check.
:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by mufflerman@Dec 29 2003, 06:38 PM
open the caliper bleed nipple and let the brake fluid run out(force of gravity) and when the fluid comes out that means it has to come from some where open the hood and you will see at the firewall a big round circular object (booster) and a little round plastic thingy(master cylinder)with a round black cap open this cap and add brake fluid dot 3 which you buy at your auto place.after tigten bleed nipple at caliper .then get some one in car(who has legs and feet) and tell him to pump the black square thingy(brake pedal) and to keep his foot on it.you then open the nipple a little bit and then close it quick,then pump again and re check.
:
Make sure the person doesnt let up off the brake before you close the nipple; I think you know why.

Also, brake fluid absorbs moisture in the air. When you open the master cylinder, or the brake fluid container, be quick about it. moisture in brake fluid=bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts