Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace brake pads and rotors for my 01 Sable. Could somebody please recommend a brand / type or a place to buy?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Are you keeping the car for a while, then go with good parts not that Zone garbage.
I've had great results with NAPA premium rotors and ceramic pads on my current Sable and the last 2 bulls.
Haven't tried Advance brake parts yet but have used other parts from them.
Always go for the premium rotors, the cheapos will warp way before the pads are half worn............

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always get the Oreilley's house brand stuff. I just did this on my Taurus and it was like $80 for new pads and rotors up front. I am easy on brakes, and get 75,000 miles easy on cheap front pads...

-GH

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Mar 12 2009, 09:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708077
Autozone Rotors and good ceramic pads.[/b]
I second that. If your funds are limited buy better ceramic pads with cheaper rotors rather than the other way around. Most "warped" rotors simply have uneven brake pad residue and can be cured with several hard 60mph-20mph stops, with ample cooling time in between. Roloc abrasive discs also work very well for fixing "warped" rotors. The Honda dealership I worked at used them on every brake job in which old rotors were re-used.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cheapest rotors possible, and nice ceramic pads.
I recommend Wagner Thermoquiet pads. Did my brakes last summer and havn't had a problem with the combination. I don't go easy on the brakes either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Everybody seems to agree, as do I. Get the ceramic pads. No noise, even when cold. No black brake dust and longer life are just some of the advantages. As far as rotors warping, the biggest cause is not using a torque wrench when tightening down the wheel nuts. Having even tightening especially with aluminum wheels is very important. And AutoZone has great ceramic pads. You are pretty sure of getting the good stuff when you stick with the high end pads no matter where you get them.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (repairman54 @ Mar 13 2009, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708406
Are you keeping the car for a while, then go with good parts not that Zone garbage.
I've had great results with NAPA premium rotors and ceramic pads on my current Sable and the last 2 bulls.
Haven't tried Advance brake parts yet but have used other parts from them.
Always go for the premium rotors, the cheapos will warp way before the pads are half worn............[/b]
I'm not sure why you're so avid against Autozone rotors? They work well for what the car is. The real money-dropper should be the pads. Good pads and decent rotors will get you very far. I've had Autozone rotors on my Sable since late 2005 and only now is it time to change them again. My Taurus is about the same length on both front and rears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts