Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 which suffered a curb strike. It broke the rim (aluminum) and bent the control arm. I noticed a grinding sound after the hit. I replaced the lower control arm, rim, tire, ball joints, both front struts, and brake pads but the impact side is still having a grinding sound. It looks like the pad is rubbing on the rotor. When I let it coast in drive on stands and that wheel off the good side spins freely, while the other side either stops completely, or spins slowly then periodically halts. I'm worried it's the bearing or the differential. I'm not seeing play in the tire when I rock it at 12-6, 3-9.

I've run out of ideas on what I can adjust/replace. Seems like the caliper is misaligned.

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
Caliper bracket bent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dust shield bent contacting the rotor?
It was on the driver side but not the passenger side. I had the sway bar links out but I wouldn't think that would cause the problem. I took the caliper off, re-seated the brake pads, and put the sway bar links back in on both sides, had to really pry it down on the damaged side but the opposite side was lined right up. Of course once I put it back down the grinding sound stopped. At this point I'll just take the W.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the wheel spin freely without the pads installed?
I tried doing that but the rotor won't sit nice without it on and I got frustrated to put the tire on to hold it. I tried this and a few things which I'll update my main post to reflect. I don't really know what I did to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
!!Solved!!

Clearly I don't understand the BB forums anymore. Perhaps the only thing more frustrating than a problem you can't solve is one you solve without knowing how you did it. I'll note what's changed:

* I had the sway bar links out still which shouldn't have effected it I thought, on the undamaged side it made no difference, but it also lined up cleanly with the mount point on the strut, while I had to really lever down the sway bar to get the link in on the damaged side.

* I also removed the caliper and brake pads on the damaged side and remounted the pads and caliper.

Now the grinding has stopped and other than a little misalignment it runs smooth. Also if anyone finds this in the future I had a mother of a time getting the ball joint studs back in the control arm long before this. I ended up using a ~3ft cheater bar and all my weight to pry the arm down and position the stud, though a longer bar would be better. Some you can sit on and then you'll have your arms free though I ended up hanging off it with my legs so I could see the stud to position it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
!!!UPDATE!!!

Grinding sound was intermittent, mostly when making hard left turns. Raised it up and noticed uneven wear on the rotor (impact side). Did a shake down test (rocked tire at 12 and 6, and 3 and 9) to look for play in the hub bearing assembly. Play was very evident. Installed new hub bearing assembly (which really sucked to go back and do). Seems to have fixed it. Still needs alignment.

Also getting the ball joint stud in the control arm has gotten easier after breaking in the new control arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts