Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in case no one knows yet, I've been having this ABS issue. The pump motor didn't seem to be priming.

So I go into work for a meeting this morning, ANTI LOCK light glaring at me the whole way. So I'm leaving work, and it's at a stop sign that I notice that the ANTI LOCK is not on!! Score!! :banana: So I drive for a ways, and decide to test the ABS to make sure that it's for real, and it's not something like the ANTI LOCK bulb burning out or something. :lol: So I take it up to 35, and hit the brakes, and the ABS does it's thing. :) Ecstatic, I do it again, but this time from 50, and WOOHOO! it stops. :thumb:
Aaaannnd then the pedal slowly sinks to the floor. :huh:
Befuddled, I drive forwards, and hit the brake. The car slows down.... as the pedal slowly sinks to the floor.
<_<
So I pull over, and hop out. I don't have to look to far when I see smoke coming from under the driver's rear wheel. I take a peek under, and there's brake fluid everywhere! :eek:
So yeah, I drive home with nothing but a leaking brake system and the e-brake. 15MPH was never so exciting. :( The hills that the Hudson Valley is famous for were especially fun. Not really though. :unsure:

Seems that the lines rusted through, and (obviously) require replacement. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I probably can't just walk into Ford and buy a new line, so what's the repair procedure? This is one of the few things I've never attempted, so any insight you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. :(

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Why couldn't you just buy a new brake line? It's a replacement part just like any other. I would call around and see what you can find. You might want to get steel braided brake lines though. This seems like a good time to upgrade to them..

JR

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the ridged thin steel lines, Ford will have them. You can probably go to a shop the is big on brakes and have new ones bent.

The SS flex hoses are not available fro the Gen 3-4 Taurus. You will find the best deal for the rubber hoses at www.rockauto.com. They will come with new banjo bolts and washers at less than Ford prices.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I just ran all new rigid steel brake lines on a race car last weekend. It's not that hard, but you will need special tools to install the ends.

Best bet is to buy them new from the dealer. Probably not the cheapest route, but certainly the safest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just measure the line from the fittings on each end. The go to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and get a piece that length with fittings already on it. A small tube bender is cheap. The front lines are short so you should be able to get a section in length rounded to the next longer foot; i.e. if you need a 3.5 foot long section, you'd get one 4 foot long. Just bend the the extra out of the way at the upper end.

I had to replace my right rear line. I needed 14 foot. They only had 5 footers. So I linked 3 together with two barrel fittings. It turned out to be better that way because it would have been next to impossible to snake in a shaped 14-foot line. The smaller sections were much easier to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.