Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so in case no one knows yet, I've been having this ABS issue. The pump motor didn't seem to be priming.

So I go into work for a meeting this morning, ANTI LOCK light glaring at me the whole way. So I'm leaving work, and it's at a stop sign that I notice that the ANTI LOCK is not on!! Score!! :banana: So I drive for a ways, and decide to test the ABS to make sure that it's for real, and it's not something like the ANTI LOCK bulb burning out or something. :lol: So I take it up to 35, and hit the brakes, and the ABS does it's thing. :) Ecstatic, I do it again, but this time from 50, and WOOHOO! it stops. :thumb:
Aaaannnd then the pedal slowly sinks to the floor. :huh:
Befuddled, I drive forwards, and hit the brake. The car slows down.... as the pedal slowly sinks to the floor.
<_<
So I pull over, and hop out. I don't have to look to far when I see smoke coming from under the driver's rear wheel. I take a peek under, and there's brake fluid everywhere! :eek:
So yeah, I drive home with nothing but a leaking brake system and the e-brake. 15MPH was never so exciting. :( The hills that the Hudson Valley is famous for were especially fun. Not really though. :unsure:

Seems that the lines rusted through, and (obviously) require replacement. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I probably can't just walk into Ford and buy a new line, so what's the repair procedure? This is one of the few things I've never attempted, so any insight you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. :(

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Why couldn't you just buy a new brake line? It's a replacement part just like any other. I would call around and see what you can find. You might want to get steel braided brake lines though. This seems like a good time to upgrade to them..

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the ridged thin steel lines, Ford will have them. You can probably go to a shop the is big on brakes and have new ones bent.

The SS flex hoses are not available fro the Gen 3-4 Taurus. You will find the best deal for the rubber hoses at www.rockauto.com. They will come with new banjo bolts and washers at less than Ford prices.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just measure the line from the fittings on each end. The go to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and get a piece that length with fittings already on it. A small tube bender is cheap. The front lines are short so you should be able to get a section in length rounded to the next longer foot; i.e. if you need a 3.5 foot long section, you'd get one 4 foot long. Just bend the the extra out of the way at the upper end.

I had to replace my right rear line. I needed 14 foot. They only had 5 footers. So I linked 3 together with two barrel fittings. It turned out to be better that way because it would have been next to impossible to snake in a shaped 14-foot line. The smaller sections were much easier to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts