Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 GL with anti lock brakes is what I'm working on.

Both brake lines going back to the proportioning valve are rusting bad. I've already replace a short strait run underneath just below the driver door, right where that plastic protector piece is. Now its leaking elsewhere. Not a rocket scientist, but I got a felling that just patching them will be a never ending battle, and a bad idea.
I've already poked around here a little bit, seems the brake lines rusting are a bit of an issue, and I'm not gonna spend $350 on a set of oem lines.

Here's my plan, replace both lines from a little past where they come out of the engine compartment {from there on up they are in good shape} all the way back to the proportioning valve using the nickel copper alloy brake line.
I've seen a couple You Tube videos on how to make the bubble flare using a double flare too. If that doesn't work, I'll go with the adapters on proportioning valve.

Does this sound right to you all?

Couple questions.
1. Should I try to route the new lines as close as possible to the same as the old lines, or can SAFELY do a little rerouting to make it easier?
2. Just want to make sure, I'm thing that this is 3/16 line?

For those of you who have done this before, or know of people who have, or who are smarter than I {which is almost all of ya} any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
97 GL with anti lock brakes is what I'm working on.

Both brake lines going back to the proportioning valve are rusting bad. I've already replace a short strait run underneath just below the driver door, right where that plastic protector piece is. Now its leaking elsewhere. Not a rocket scientist, but I got a felling that just patching them will be a never ending battle, and a bad idea.
I've already poked around here a little bit, seems the brake lines rusting are a bit of an issue, and I'm not gonna spend $350 on a set of oem lines.

Here's my plan, replace both lines from a little past where they come out of the engine compartment {from there on up they are in good shape} all the way back to the proportioning valve using the nickel copper alloy brake line.
I've seen a couple You Tube videos on how to make the bubble flare using a double flare too. If that doesn't work, I'll go with the adapters on proportioning valve.

Does this sound right to you all?

Couple questions.
1. Should I try to route the new lines as close as possible to the same as the old lines, or can SAFELY do a little rerouting to make it easier?
2. Just want to make sure, I'm thing that this is 3/16 line?

For those of you who have done this before, or know of people who have, or who are smarter than I {which is almost all of ya} any input will be greatly appreciated.

You dont have to follow the original route of the brake line. But you do need to be sure if you change the route that the lines are still safe and dont bounce around. Be sure when bending the lines you dont kink them in any way. make your bends nice and smooth, use a tube bender if possible. I'm not 100% sure, but 3/16th sounds about right for the line size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts