Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 99 Taurus. Started driving today and suddenly the brake pedal nearly goes to the floor.

Realized it must be a brake problem so I looked underneath and saw brake fluid dripping almost directly under passenger door. Drove home and jacked up. There are 2 long brake lines that go from front of car to proportioning valve in back and they are rusted severely.

Where can I find replacements? Does anyone sell the pair with all the bends and twists?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (cruisin97 @ May 27 2009, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728462
Car is a 99 Taurus. Started driving today and suddenly the brake pedal nearly goes to the floor.

Realized it must be a brake problem so I looked underneath and saw brake fluid dripping almost directly under passenger door. Drove home and jacked up. There are 2 long brake lines that go from front of car to proportioning valve in back and they are rusted severely.

Where can I find replacements? Does anyone sell the pair with all the bends and twists?

Any advice would be appreciated.[/b]
You have to build your own.. 3/16 in break line and will be bubble flared ... use the old fitting clean the up with wire wheel and drill. you should also invest in stainless or rust protection coated lines if you want them to last longer then the steel lines.. although the steel lines are easier to bend..

What i usually do is cut down one section line at a time try to bend it into roughly the same shape as old one. then repeat for second (remember to mark which one goes where.)
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Odds are not the entire line is rotted. You can just splice in a new piece where it is rusted through. Been done numerous times. Hell, just had to do it on the 95. As the above poster said, get SS. Most all autoparts stores have it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
As I understand it Ford is now has this as a replacement part.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
For the Gen 3 anyway. I would guess as long as the car has the rear proportioning valve the lines are all the same through out the years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 28 2009, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728575
As I understand it Ford is now has this as a replacement part.[/b]
I know you can but last time i checked the price was retarded.. but they do last alot longer then steel and even Stainless steel rolls of tube.. my girlfriends cavalier was $240 for gas lines and break lines front to back!!. i think last time i checked taurus was like $780 my cost $1000+ retail

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting news. Went to 2 car parts stores. Both had straight lines and offered to sell the tool to bend. Since I have never done brake lines before, I didn't want to try to bend several turns into 2 parallel lines that are about 12 feet long. The whole line was a rusted mess.

Spoke to 4 Ford dealers, local and internet and each was surprised there was even a part number. Due to shipping cost and odd size, local dealer had the best price. So, special ordered and it arrived a bit bent but usable. Had to reuse 2 plastic clips from the old one.

Changed it and bled the rear brakes. Had to take rear tires off in order to have enough leverage to open rear bleeders. Rear brakes don't need to be changed and no leaky wheel cylinders so I just put the drums and wheels back on.

Not clear if I need to bleed fronts, but front bleeders are quite rusted and I couldn't get the left front to move. Anybody have any thoughts on ideas on how to get bleeders open if i ever need to?

Car is much better to drive now that brakes are working fine again.

Thanks to all for replies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had looked at Rock Auto before calling dealer. Didn't see anything on Website, but didn't call them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts