Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittent brake lights (both yellow ABS and red Brake lights). 4-5 times in last 6 months. Daughter took the car to Ford dealer on both brake lights. After checking everything, Ford suspected ABS module. Wife and daughter swapped cars. Wife has been driving the car for 3-4 months. Both brake lights came on once or twice.

Yesterday engine died for the first time. According to wife, on the way home car beeped and brake lights came on. Didn't notice anything else wrong. Kept driving another 3-4 miles. (I told her to ignore brake lights) Car beeped briefly again. Substantially lost speed. Pulled into a parking lot. Engine died. Couldn't restart immediately. After a few minutes, restarted the car and parked properly. I brought her home.

After a few hours we went back. The car started. At red light, car beeped briefly. Completed a 5 mile trip to home. Car didn't limp.

06 Vulcan 55k miles. Bought used in 2009, 42k. Replaced filters (trans, oil, fuel, engine, cabin), oem aux trans cooler installed (from JY, single long tube with fins), drained and refilled coolant/trans/brake.

No codes.
What do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
When you said the car beeped...was the horn blaring or the dinger inside the car/instrument panel was beeping?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford couldn't solve this intermittent ABS/Brake lighting problem. There was no stored ABS code when they had the car. "Our best guess is abs module" was what they said. Additional power loss makes me think it's an electrical problem. I replaced the fuses that have anything to do with ABS. Will see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well, they are somewhat onto something. Not sure if you have traction control (button under speedometer), but if so, the ABS box is known to have some kind of internal failure and need replacement.

Definitely electrical related (the worst problem there is). And wow you have a lota Tauruses :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add these to my previous reply:
1) No traction control. (No TC light during startup.)
2) I don't have an ABS code reader. I am thinking about buying one.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, sheila for the recommendation. I am actually considering AutoEnginuity. The base unit is about $240. Do you think it will overwhelm me rather than helping me?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks, sheila for the recommendation. I am actually considering AutoEnginuity. The base unit is about $240. Do you think it will overwhelm me rather than helping me?
Well, that type of "scantool" is the future, since home PCs are already much more powerful than any scantool made. It's just a matter of buying the right cabling and software. That said, I don't know whether that particular brand is good or bad.

I remember reading about this problem with 06 (ish) era Tauruses, and the root is some sort of charge system problem although I've forgotten the specifics. It sounds like system voltage is dropping, and your modules and then PCM are dropping out. Check the basics like battery cables, and load test the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a month since the problem.

alternator, battery ok.
chassis grounding brushed/lubed
ABS/brake fuse replaced.
Other fuses/relays wiggled in place.

I found slight tarnish on fuse blades. I suppose the car was previously used in a swampy area (highly probable in Florida). Swamp gas (H2S) + silver coating on fuse blade = black silver tarnish. Wiggling fuses/relays to break silver tarnish coating from contacts.

The problem hasn't returned yet. Will update if it returns. Thank you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts