Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 1999 Taurus SE, when I push on the brake pedal, the brakes engage just fine. BUT, my brake lights do not come on. The only time they come on is when I push the brake pedal all the way down and push HARD. Then the brake lights come on just fine. The pressure I have to apply is so great that I could not push on the brake hard enough to engage the lights when actually driving. I have no other electrical or mechanical problems with the car.

Any suggestions how to fix this? :unsure:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check the switch on the pedal. It either needs adjustement or replacement.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
:withstupid:

It could be a flaky wire on the switch. You should either replace the switch or repair the wires if you see a problem. You could probably test the switch with a multimeter first if you wanted.

Let us know what you find.

-Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the switch. After consulting my Chilton's book (man, I love the library!), I got the part I needed and replaced it within 5 minutes. Everything works perfectly now! :D :chili:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Into the Common Problems section for ya then!

-Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the switch for the brake lights?I have a new switch kit I ordered from ford for a 2000 taurus,I have no brake lights,I cant seem to get the plastic washers on and install the pin to hold the switch on,anyone know what Im doing wrong?Pictures of the switch on the pedal hooked up would be great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts