Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 comments/questions to make here..... First I noticed the other day while waiting to pick someone up that if you put your parking brake on, the light stays off. All of my other cars have the light illuminated when the brake is set. I know some have probably known this for years but I rarely use the parking brake.

Next, This morning I pulled away from my curb and hit the brake on a patch of ice from our ice storm last week and seconds after doing this, the brake and ABS light came on. Is this normal? The reason I ask is because while at school, we had like 3 inches of snow and there were multiple times driving home where my brakes locked up with no ABS light or brake light.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The brake light is suppose to illuminate when the parking brake is set. If it's not coming on, the switch on the brake pedal is gunked up and requires cleaning.

Second part, the ABS and brake lights only illuminates if there is a problem with the ABS and braking system, respectively. If ABS is working correctly then the light should not illuminate and you'll feel a pulse/grinding in the pedal. If the brake light is on (and the parking brake is released all the way), then you're low on fluid/pads/shoes/etc and requires service on the braking system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the grinding noise was the brakes locking up so at least ABS is working. About the parking brake, I went out to my dads 2001 taurus and set the brake and there was no brake light. I tried setting it and putting it in all the gears but nothing. Do you think temperatures below freezing would cause this?

Also, I had my pads changed and rotors resurfaced and shoes replaced but kept the factory drums and drum hardware, this was done in late april. I have had a shimy in the steering wheel while stopping but it does not shake the whole car. The tires are 3 months old so I dont think they are damaged nor do I think my rotors are warped because they are so new.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The light comes on with the pedal down:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/695621

If you don't use it, then the switch gunks up. Get some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip and clean the plunger switch and work up and down a couple times.

And as long as the brake and ABS lights are off under normal driving, don't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts