Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 SE has been having brake light issues. Either they wouldn't work at all, they worled all the time (cruise control wouldn't engage) or only when the brakes were depressed really hard. A new symptom yesterday was the car wouldn't come out of park. Futz with the switch and the lights start working for a bit. Took the switch out and cleaned all the contacts a couple of months ago and seemed fine. Started again a few days ago so bought a replacment switch at AutoZone for $7.99. Replaced it and still having issues. I can get the lights to work properly when I play with the angle of the switch but then they end up not working unless pedal pushed very hard.

Any ideas anyone? Car is my 18 yr old's daily driver and obviously don't want him driving with bad brake lights.

As an aside, why the heck did Ford make the whole brake light switch thing so complicated?

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
VERY CAREFULLY check the wires going to the switch conector. Wiggle them, pull on them, flex them, etc. Not uncommon for the wires to break internally as they flex whenever brake is pressed. Thye often. but not always break internally at or near the connector. Again, the break, if that is the problem, will not be obvious, like the wire just hanging, since the instuation holds the internally broken wire together.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as Jeff K said. One of the wires was broken internally. Found it by yanking n the wires and one came apart in my hand, Managed to wiggle under there and solder a new wire onto the spade lug and brake lightw work as they are supposed to

1 - 3 of 3 Posts