Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1992 SHO, I have a problem with the brake light being on. But I also know that the Parking brake is not working, and it seems like my rear wheels are a little locked up, so it leads me to believe that the cable either detached or snapped and it left the parking brake on slightly engaged. I was wondering 2 things, 1, how is the parking brake attached on the 4 wheel ABS Disc brake system. Meaning how it is attached in the rear, like does it lock down on the Rotors of the vehicle when you put on the brake, or is there something else it does to lock down the rear wheels. Also, would the parking brake being slightly engaged cause the brake light to be on?

S

·
0 Posts
The parking brake even if fully engaged will not cause the brake lights to be on. The only thing causing the brake lights to come on is the brake switch located above the brake pedal, the switch probably needs replacement. The parking brake simply applies the brakes using a cable to engage the rear disk brakes.

B

·
0 Posts
However, the brake LIGHT on the dash could be on, if the pedal is partially depressed. :)

The parking brake is actuated by cables, as you know. Those same cables also apply tension to the parking brake pedal when it's released. If the parking brake pedal is not fully released, the brake light on the dash will come on. If this is the case, you can rig up the pedal with something to keep it up, and put the light out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, sorry about that SHO, I meant the dash light....thats something I should have made more clear, my mistake. Also, the parking brake does not engage any further when I push the pedal....so it looks like I'm not just gonna be messing with the pedal to fix the parking brake, but the cables as well...eh, this is what you get when you get yourself a project car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if your brake light is on pull your E-brake up to you, if it will not go off it is the cable. it could be rusted or jammed into the high teck stuff that turns the light on!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after driving it for awhile, it finally went off, that and I reattached the cable, because it was detached from the brakes in the rear. The light goes on when I go to start it, but immediately shuts off once its started, so I guess it finally released.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts