Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 sable's brake light turned on several months ago for no reason. Occasionally the light went off by itself but it came back on shortly after. I checked the parking brake and brake fluid level. They all appear all right. I then just left it alone for several months. I am in Texas. Now, my yearly inspection is due. I am just wondering if I can pass the inspection with brake light on. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hmm...someone can correct me here, but isn't there a float in the brake fluid reservoir. Wonder if it's stuck?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Unplug connector from park brake switch and see if the problem goes away. If it doesnt, either the float in the MC reservoir is stuck as Nick said, or you have a bizarre electrical / harness problem.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Make sure the screw/bolt that holds the parking brake switch on the pedal assembly is tight.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Make sure brake fluid is up to the max line on reservoir when cold. Also, might spray plunger switch on e-brake arm right above pedal with wd-40 and then depress and release e-brake several times. With e-brake released, check under drivers door to assure cable has some slack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unplug connector from park brake switch and see if the problem goes away. If it doesnt, either the float in the MC reservoir is stuck as Nick said, or you have a bizarre electrical / harness problem.

Thanks. How do I find the park brake switch connector?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ Near top of pedal assy. Single wire push on connector.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^^ Near top of pedal assy. Single wire push on connector.
I just checked and could not find the connector. Is it anywhere close to the park brake pedal?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...someone can correct me here, but isn't there a float in the brake fluid reservoir. Wonder if it's stuck?
Where is the float? I just checked the reservoir and could not find it.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Switch is on the pedal arm just above the pedal. Float is inside the reservoir. Uncap and push down once or twice with your finger or screwdriver. Elec. connection for the float switch is on the pass. side of the reservoir. Another member on here recently had a similar brake light on problem which was caused by a faulty abs module. Might read the thread: Why Does The Brake Light Stay On?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally, I am able to locate the switch. Unpluging the switch does not solve the problem. I then tried really hard to find the float. With a screw driver in the reservoir, I really did not feel anything. Where does the float sit, on the bottom of the reservior, or in the metal tube beneath the reservior? Ocassionally when I drove over bumps or made sharp turns, brake light may turn off but came back on a couple of minutes later. Is it indicative of float problem?

Switch is on the pedal arm just above the pedal. Float is inside the reservoir. Uncap and push down once or twice with your finger or screwdriver. Elec. connection for the float switch is on the pass. side of the reservoir. Another member on here recently had a similar brake light on problem which was caused by a faulty abs module. Might read the thread: Why Does The Brake Light Stay On?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That's all it took? Hmm cool.

trojan football=Northwestern HS in Rock Hill?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Nick, I assume the new MC came with a new reservoir with a new float switch in it. The MC itself was likely fine, and the float switch was bad. You can but new reservoirs seperate from the actual MC for many cars (not 100% sure for our cars, but I be we can).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Looking at RockAuto, doesn't appear they sell a separate float switch :\ drat. I do see the electrical plug on the side. Wouldn't there be a way to unplug and test the switch inside with a dmm?

More Information for RAYBESTOS MC390370

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick, I assume the new MC came with a new reservoir with a new float switch in it. The MC itself was likely fine, and the float switch was bad. You can but new reservoirs seperate from the actual MC for many cars (not 100% sure for our cars, but I be we can).
That's my guess. Original master cylinder was leaking, so I got it replaced by a mechanic, which cost me about $300. The first few days with the new cylinder, it worked fine. A couple of weeks after that, the brake light start to turn on and off from time to time. Now, the light is almost on all the time.

One thing though it I am NOT able to find the float in the reservoir. It does not seem right me. Am I supposed to locate the float easily or it is hidden somewhere in there?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anybody can help finding the float in the master cylinder?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have this problem and it's due to a faulty ABS unit. For a new one it's very costly. We had one replaced with a unit from the junk yard. That lasted about a year. We had so many things checked out and it all still points to the ABS unit. Also, ours is temperature/weather related. Depending on the air temp and conditions, we can pretty much predict when it stays on and when it won't come on. We timed our inspection for when the weather would keep it off, and had no problem passing. Since you can get the car with or without ABS, it may not really be that important in spending a lot of money to fix it especially if the car is older like ours is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts