Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For the past week my brake light on dash has been flickering off and on. I had new brakes installed this last year and they look fine. The fluid looks a bit brownish but is not gritty or anything. Could I possibly need a brake flush so soon? I have put 5,000 miles on it since last time when brakes were installed. Advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Intermittent brake light typically indicates that the fluid in the reservoir is low, tripping the low fluid sensor depending on if you are making a turn, braking, etc, that disturbs the level of the fluid. This is either due to a leak in the brake system, or you have a pair or full set of pads worn. However, I find the latter less likely if you have rear drum brakes, but I wouldn't rule it out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you do the work yourself, check for a leaking master cylinder, you'd see the wetness going down the brake booster. Also, the drums need to be pulled off to check the wheel cylinders. Those are the most likely sources of a leak, since the brakes (I assume just the fronts were done?) were just done. Obviously, you can check the rear shoes while the drums are off. If there is a leak, you might as well make sure to flush the system, but that's not going to cause the light to come on (dirty fluid). Old dirty fluid will just cause a spongy feel and possibly line wear due to water and other contaminents.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Typically, from what I've seen of blown wheel cylinders, is that they leak really fast, and the brake fluid ends up spitting all up into the inside of the wheel. You certainly can't miss that, lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also, check that your parking brake pedal, when fully released, is properly operating the plunger-type switch mounted on the pedal mechanism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts