Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About four months ago, I had both the front and rear brakes done (new rotors and pads up front, new shoes out back). About a week later, the brake light in the dash lit up.

I checked the level of the brake fluid, and it is right where it should be. I even depressed/released the emergency brake a few times, just to see if that was it, but the light is still on.

After having my "low coolant" light pop on when the overflow tank was full, I now am curious to see if there is a similar issue with the brake light. The car stops just like it should -- any thoughts as to why the brake light is now lit up?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Check the e-brake where the pedal depresses the pin. Sometimes a shot of WD-40 is necessary if the pin is sticking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just hit that pin with a bit of WD-40, but the light is still on. I'm going to try adding a little brake fluid and see if that does it. It looks to be slightly low, but I'm not sure if it is low enough to trigger the light.

If it isn't either of these two, what else could it be? Is there a sensor that could be bad, like in the overflow tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
After having my "low coolant" light pop on when the overflow tank was full.
Did you solve the "Low Coolant" light? I'm having the same thing happen with my car. It only comes on when I sit in traffic for a while. After driving I checked the coolant level in the overflow tank and the coolant level was all the way up. I'm starting to think there might be a blockage somewhere, possibly in the radiator itself. I'm going to flush the system and replace the coolant.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
That light is caused by a faulty sensor at the bottom of the tank. If coolant is full, and you simply want the lt. off, unplug it. If you desire a working lt., replace the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I though the sensor was located somewhere attached to the radiator? I'm going to be checking the coolant in the radiator itself just to be sure there is no blockage.
The light only comes on when I sit in traffic for a long time, like this morning on my way down to work. Other days it doesn't come on. I think that if it was a faulty sensor the light would be on all the time.

"" Found possibly solution on another threat. I'll take this convo there if need to as not to deviate from the topic. Thanks for the help Sheila"

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
According to google, brake light comes on when
1) the emergency brake is applied
2) the emergency brake is released but ebrake switch needs adjustment
3) low brake fluid level in master cylinder
4) low brake fluid pressure in either brake branch
5) brake fluid pressure differential between the two branches.

Sorry I can't help you further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same issue. when i had the car inspected the mechanic said that it is the sensor at the bottom of the tank resivior. It comes as one unit. he replaced the tank with the new sensor in it and the brake light went away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ntwrkguy,

What year is your taurus?
The older cars had a sensor that slid into a slot in/under the brake resevoir.
It's black and about 3 inches long.
It is plugged into a harness and can be disconnected.
It is very esy to remove and change.
Normally a low fluid situation turns on the brake light during turns or going up hills as the fluid sloshes around/in the brake resevoir.
Is your ABS light on as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts