Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ses with the duratec engine.

I recently changed the rear brakes (everything). The parking brake works fine, and the car stops normally. After I drive for about 10 miles the brake light comes on and stays on for about 3-5 minutes, then the traction control light comes on for 1-3seconds and then both lights go out. No difference is noticed in the way the car stops or drives. The brake fluid level is normal. I have NO IDEA what is happening, and an hesitant to take it to a shop because it drives and stops normally and I do not want to start spending money on diagnosing an intermittent problem as that can get expensive. If anyone thinks they have seen or heard of this before and would give me some opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
When you say brake light, I'm assuming you mean the red brake warning lamp, that says - BRAKE ((!)) ((P)) - correct?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the fluid level sensor is faulty, but I would think that the ABS light would come on as well if it read low fluid.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If the T/C and ABS lights are turning on might be a wheel sensor?
[/b]
Could be...bad sensor, dirty toner ring, bad connection at the plug for a wheel sensor are all possible.

This is assuming it's the ABS and traction control off (the one on the T/C button) lights coming on. Low fluid won't turn the ABS light on or disable the traction control - just the red BRAKE light will come on if it's low fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, thanks to the quick response by all who have posted regarding my question. The light I am referring to is indeed the brake ((!)) ((P)) light. the one that notifies you the parking brake is still set (mainly). The traction control light is actually the green light that looks like a spinning wheel which activates when the front tires are spinning or slipping. The traction control button light which illuminates "off" when you puch it to turn it off, will not work when this symptom is occuring.

I did take evasive action to keep from hitting a deer and when the car rocked back and forth (still on the road, just an emergency lane change), both lights have activated as described in my original post.

If it is a wheel sensor, I have no idea where that would be located. If it is the fluid level sensor, am I to assume it can be located somewhere near or in the master cylinder?

Thanks again for all who have responded.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
If the T/C and ABS lights are turning on might be a wheel sensor?
[/b]
Could be...bad sensor, dirty toner ring, bad connection at the plug for a wheel sensor are all possible.

This is assuming it's the ABS and traction control off (the one on the T/C button) lights coming on. Low fluid won't turn the ABS light on or disable the traction control - just the red BRAKE light will come on if it's low fluid.
[/b][/quote]

But I thought, that if the fluid level was too low, the ABS module would shut down ABS operation because it requires more fluid during an ABS stop. Or does it shut down abs operation without turning the light on in this instance? Or am I just completely wrong???

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the ABS light comes on steady it has shut the ABS off. This should trigger a code when the car is first started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '02 SEL does the exact same thing. I"ve found that pulling the connector off the brake fluid sensor will at least turn the brake light off but the problem appears to be in the electronics module that controls braking systems.

Mine started happening pretty randomly but gradually the brake light would some on more and more often. Yours may likely do the same.

One other similarity we share is that yours started after you rebuilt your back brakes and I also had a rear brake problem (frozen wheel cylinder) that was keeping them from working right (now fixed). Not sure if that tells us anything but it could be a clue.

If you find another fix or even if you replace the electronics module, I'd be interested to know how that all goes.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Is there a separate ABS and e-brake lights on the 2002s?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 02 has separate indicators for each. Theh ABS light is located between the transmission warning light and the fuel filler light.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Is there a separate ABS and e-brake lights on the 2002s?
[/b]
Yes, there's the yellow ABS and the red Brake light. When the ABS faults out the T/C button lights up "OFF" in yellow. I can take a picture for you since conveniently all of mine are on. (One of my co-worker's dad has a shop and he read the code as a faulty RF wheel speed sensor which seems kind of minor for so many lights on :dunno: )

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get a green traction control light when I start the car but haven't seen my ABS light. I think my issue is centered around the ABS system but I've not had any codes read and have spoken to one guy from these forums who replaced the wheel sensors but the problem returned fairly quickly.

It's probably an issue in the TC/ABS control module but, like I said, without having codes read I hate to spend money replacing something that may or may not fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I get a green traction control light when I start the car but haven't seen my ABS light. I think my issue is centered around the ABS system but I've not had any codes read and have spoken to one guy from these forums who replaced the wheel sensors but the problem returned fairly quickly.

It's probably an issue in the TC/ABS control module but, like I said, without having codes read I hate to spend money replacing something that may or may not fix the problem.
[/b]
So when you start the car, the yellow ABS light doesn't come on? Then either the light is burnt out, or you don't have ABS. IDK if it's standard in that year or not. You could have engine traction control only, without ABS.

First of all, thanks to the quick response by all who have posted regarding my question. The light I am referring to is indeed the brake ((!)) ((P)) light. the one that notifies you the parking brake is still set (mainly). The traction control light is actually the green light that looks like a spinning wheel which activates when the front tires are spinning or slipping. The traction control button light which illuminates "off" when you puch it to turn it off, will not work when this symptom is occuring.

I did take evasive action to keep from hitting a deer and when the car rocked back and forth (still on the road, just an emergency lane change), both lights have activated as described in my original post.

If it is a wheel sensor, I have no idea where that would be located. If it is the fluid level sensor, am I to assume it can be located somewhere near or in the master cylinder?

Thanks again for all who have responded.
[/b]
The wheel speed sensors are located at the wheels, mounted on the spindles, and the brake fluid level switch is indeed part of the master cylinder. I know you don't want to spend money, but if you can get someone to check for codes, that might help. Since the TC light has been coming on without the wheels spinning to activate the system, there could be a DTC stored that may help lead to the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nidan...you have to have ABS to have traction control, you couldn't order a car with TC solo.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Nidan...you have to have ABS to have traction control, you couldn't order a car with TC solo.
[/b]
Ah. I know some vehicles have engine-only traction control - meaning that when the wheels spin, engine output is reduced until the wheels stop spinning. IDK if that's an option on the Taurus or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Nidan @ Nov 20 2008, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677735
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 19 2008, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677482
Nidan...you have to have ABS to have traction control, you couldn't order a car with TC solo.[/b]
Ah. I know some vehicles have engine-only traction control - meaning that when the wheels spin, engine output is reduced until the wheels stop spinning. IDK if that's an option on the Taurus or not.
[/b][/quote]

I have a 03 SES with the duratec I changed the plugs and seemed like shortley after my e brack light started coming on from time to time now its on always and my traction control doesn't work at all! When I turn the key switch to the on position no abs light took to midas and had it hooked up to brake code reader and it couldn't connect to abs! Pulled instr. cluster out replaced bulb drove car for maybe 10 minutes blew abs bulb again! I have changed all 4 wheel sensors still no change replaced fluid level sensor, replaced brake on and off switch and now I have the abs control module in the trunk but before I go threw the trouble to change the abs control madule is there anything small thing that anyone can recommend me checking before I do this? Also I have a bad miss when in gear @ idle speed only seems like when I turn the ac on or defrost it will then miss so bad feels like car is gonna die! Replaced the tps with no change and also changed out the idle air control with no change I have checked for vaccum leaks and have not any! Please help been to 2 dealerships and 5 shops and I still have the same problems but only now with a empty checking account! Thanks for any rplies!

STEVE

·
Registered
159 Posts
QUOTE (blackbetty2 @ Dec 5 2009, 05:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=771196
QUOTE (Nidan @ Nov 20 2008, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677735
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 19 2008, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677482
Nidan...you have to have ABS to have traction control, you couldn't order a car with TC solo.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I have a 03 SES with the duratec I changed the plugs and seemed like shortley after my e brack light started coming on from time to time now its on always and my traction control doesn't work at all! When I turn the key switch to the on position no abs light took to midas and had it hooked up to brake code reader and it couldn't connect to abs! Pulled instr. cluster out replaced bulb drove car for maybe 10 minutes blew abs bulb again! I have changed all 4 wheel sensors still no change replaced fluid level sensor, replaced brake on and off switch and now I have the abs control module in the trunk but before I go threw the trouble to change the abs control madule is there anything small thing that anyone can recommend me checking before I do this? Also I have a bad miss when in gear @ idle speed only seems like when I turn the ac on or defrost it will then miss so bad feels like car is gonna die! Replaced the tps with no change and also changed out the idle air control with no change I have checked for vaccum leaks and have not any! Please help been to 2 dealerships and 5 shops and I still have the same problems but only now with a empty checking account! Thanks for any rplies!

STEVE
[/b][/quote]

You have a bad ABS computer module. The black box side of the ABS NOT the pump. I had the exact same problems you are having . Switched the black box with one from a junk yard and everything works great now. Just make sure your box has the letters TC on the white label when you pull it. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Gentlemen,

Any update on this problem? My '02 has the same issue.

It has morped from the red brake warning light with TC light "off" highlighted, to red brake light coming on after ~10min of driving, and goes off after ~50 mins of driving. As mentioned by other posters, the green TC light flashes on briefly (~1 second), then goes out, then the red brake light goes out. The bad part is I had to brake when the TC green dash light was on, and the ABS came on! I never experienced that before because the warning lights always went off when on the highway (read: no braking required). The pedal pressure came back (ABS off) when I let off and depressed again, but whew! Pretty scary to happen in traffic. I hope someone has seen some progress on this issue.

Thanks as always for your time,

J

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
Im thinking the fix was replacing the abs module under the battery. Its a pain to access and service. You have to separate the module from the pump or replace the entire unit and a possible trip to the dealership afterwards to have the system bled and cleared with specialized equipment if air enters the system. Very pricy unless you get the parts at a pick n pull and do the work yourself. Best to do a search, check topic finder or wiki at the top of this page. There have been several past threads addressing this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That was one I hadn't seen, but the symptoms seem very common, like the coolant reservoir sensor issue, enough so that a single fix would be out there. I will check for module threads. Thanks for the tip! Maybe it's time to upgrade to a Milan...:D

-J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts