Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, FIRST POST! Woot!

Anyways, today I replaced the calipers on my Taurus.

I did the drivers side, bled it and moved to the other side.

I had the passenger side on, and started to bleed it. Unfortunately I let the master cylinder run out of fluid.

I've done some research and I have concluded that this isn't good. Can I bleed each brake (2 rear wheel cylinders & front calipers) and be good. Would there have to be any other procedures that I would have to do. As soon as I ran out of fluid, I filled it back up and finished bleeding the passenger side. A little more air came out, then clean fluid. The pedal felt kinda mushy still.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Start a the farthest back wheel and bleed all. You will have to to get a good pedal back. Air is not your friend in an emergency. Get a shop to do it if you do not have the touch. Stopping is so important!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Get the BIG can of fluid you will need to use all of it. If you know someone with a real vacuum bleeder, not the crappy hand pumps, borrow it. Those things can suck all sorts of crap out of the lines.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Air is not your friend in an emergency. Get a shop to do it if you do not have the touch. Stopping is so important!!
Definitely agree! I'll add my two cents.

Usually, and I'm going from past experience, if you let the master cylinder run dry and do get some air in the system, you can bleed the hell out of the brakes to get those bubbles out. By not engaging the ABS, the valves in the HCU/ABS Pump will remain in the same posistion, allowing the air/fluid to pass through.

Long story short, if you bleed the hell out of it, you should be alright.

After you've done this, if you still have a mushy pedal/have engaged the ABS without getting all of the air out. Might as well just call the local dealer and get it done right. Stopping is one of those things that kinda is important. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts