Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have never changed brake fluid unless I am replacing a hard part of the system (IE: Caliper, Hose, wheel Cylinder). All my cars, current and past have been treated this way. I have, to date, replaced only calipers on my Lincoln's, and none on any of my cars that I have owned in the last 15 years. The one exception to the fluid rule was my 1989 Cadillac Alante, I replaced the fluid in that every six months. It was a self powered system, and prone to problems. I owned that car for about a year, and although I miss the car, am glad I got rid of it.

I agree with GM, FORD, and Chrysler, fluid should not be changed unless needed from integral part replacement. Its a sales gimmick, nothing more.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
^ Glycol ester based amber brake fluids (dot 3, 4, and 5.1) are hygroscopic (absorb h2o/humidity) with 1 exception, the non-compatible silicone based purple dot 5 brake fluid.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I have never changed brake fluid unless I am replacing a hard part of the system (IE: Caliper, Hose, wheel Cylinder). All my cars, current and past have been treated this way. I have, to date, replaced only calipers on my Lincoln's, and none on any of my cars that I have owned in the last 15 years. The one exception to the fluid rule was my 1989 Cadillac Alante, I replaced the fluid in that every six months. It was a self powered system, and prone to problems. I owned that car for about a year, and although I miss the car, am glad I got rid of it.

I agree with GM, FORD, and Chrysler, fluid should not be changed unless needed from integral part replacement. Its a sales gimmick, nothing more.
I remove the fluid from the MC and replace, then flush the system about every 2 years. Pic of what the fluid looks like from the MC. fluid is cheap and I prefer clean fluids. I use my own vacuum jug system for one person flush. I have spare bleeder screws so I remove one and put in a clean one first. Put spark plug grease on the threads of the one going in so it is easy to remove next time. And pics of why I like to pull the pads and inspect them in this rust belt area.

-chart-

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts