Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forgotten fluid, what is it, Brake Fluid, one of my pet peeves!!!!

Take the time to look through this easy to read & understand mini tutorial, on brake fluid & scroll down to "find out where you likely are on the boiling point curve"!!!!

The info could save our necks, if we drive fast, on in the mountains, or with heavy loads, or have never changed our brake fluid & have to make a panic stop, only to feel that pedal get soft, or go to the floor, because absorbed water in the brake fluid lowered it's boiling point!!!!

Keeping the fluid changed on a regular basis will also cut down on internal system corrosion, as absorbed moisture will be drained out with the old fluid & thus won't remain to cause serious problems.

Lots of good info about brake fluid there, like why silicone brake fluid shouldn't be used for street vehicles, why DOT-4 fluid can quickly loose half of it's wet boiling point with only 3% water absorbtion, why all DOT-3 fluids aren't the same, ect, ect.

I know where I am on the curve, as I flushed both of my rides with Motorcraft PM-1 DOT-3 fluid last summer. I do them every 3 years.

Enjoy the read, I sure did.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

·
Super Moderator
8,116 Posts
Great advise!!! I change brake fluid in all my cars every 2 years. It is amazing how dark brown / black it is in only 2 years. I have never had to replace a caliper / wheel cylinder / master cylinder / HCU in a car that has had the fluid changed on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Usually twice a year or before any track event......

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think i've only replaced the brake fluids like once it its lifetime. I was forced to replace it when I found out that the master cylinder was busted. It's been taken care of i'll probably replace it again within a year.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
According to that chart.. mine should boil just sitting there in summer time. :blink:

No clue when Mine has been changed.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I will have to check through all the repair slips to see if it has ever been done. Next time the brakes get messed with, the fluid will be changed.. Of course, I could be changing calipers and/or brake lines anyway. :angry: darn rust.

Anyone know of any prebent brake lines for these cars? I can probably easily bend the lines.. it's the flares I'm worried about. Would probably have to buy the tool since most of the rental tools are pretty beat up living in a redneck area

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
No pre-bent hardlines available that I know of. It isn't hard to do yourself, though. Rent a bender and flaring tool from AutoZone - they are both very cheap to buy as well.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
BUMP:

Did another brake system fluid flush with 24 oz of Motorcraft PM-1 Dot-3 fluid last week, on the 94 Taurus.

It had been 3 years since the last flush with PM-1.
This old fluid was clear, but with a sort of very light green tint to it, that I've never noticed before, as it usually looks sorta light tan/amber.
The clarity of the old fluid surprised me, as it looked much better/more clear, than the PM-1 fluid has in the past, with 3 year flushes!!!!

Wonder if Motorcraft has a new vendor, or if the vendor has a new recipe???? Whatever, it sure seems to look better after a 3 year service period in my 17 year old system.
This system has always had the brake fluid flushed every three years with Motorcraft PM-1 DOT-3 fluid, so far no problems, the master & wheel cyls are all still OEM.

When was your brake fluid last flushed & where do you suppose you are on the curve???? I know where I am now!!!!
EDIT: http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
8mm IIRC

·
Registered
27 Posts
No. DOT 3 and DOT4 are not compatible.
Some of the rubber parts might not be compatible with different DOT level brake fluids.

I do normally use DOT3 (unless specified otherwise).

Ford was moving to a new supplier of brake fluids in the 10’s. I do not recall the name (Tirreno???).

·
Registered
27 Posts
The forgotten fluid, what is it, Brake Fluid, one of my pet peeves!!!!

Take the time to look through this easy to read & understand mini tutorial, on brake fluid & scroll down to "find out where you likely are on the boiling point curve"!!!!

The info could save our necks, if we drive fast, on in the mountains, or with heavy loads, or have never changed our brake fluid & have to make a panic stop, only to feel that pedal get soft, or go to the floor, because absorbed water in the brake fluid lowered it's boiling point!!!!

Keeping the fluid changed on a regular basis will also cut down on internal system corrosion, as absorbed moisture will be drained out with the old fluid & thus won't remain to cause serious problems.

Lots of good info about brake fluid there, like why silicone brake fluid shouldn't be used for street vehicles, why DOT-4 fluid can quickly loose half of it's wet boiling point with only 3% water absorbtion, why all DOT-3 fluids aren't the same, ect, ect.

I know where I am on the curve, as I flushed both of my rides with Motorcraft PM-1 DOT-3 fluid last summer. I do them every 3 years.

Enjoy the read, I sure did.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm
One important thing that is mentioned on the article. He is saying about low-steel brake pads.
Those type of lining material is more popular in Europe and South America.
In US and China, normally it is used NAO (non-asbestos organic), which operates in lower temperatures.
Some high performance brakes (like Cadillac CTS-V) will use low-steel or Low-met materials.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
^ Big Jaw, dot 3, 4 and 5.1 are compatible/mixable. They are glycol ester based. 4 and 5.1 have higher boiling points due to their borate ester content. You can find bottles/cans of brake fluid in parts stores labeled dot 3/4 meaning they are safe to use in either application. I'm not advocating mixing the dots, you should always go with what is recommended in the owners manual or reservoir cap, but if you do mix by accident or in an emergency, no harm, no foul. Dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatible/mixable with the other dots. It does not absorb h2o/humidity like the other dots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts