Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Took the car out today and the brake pedal went to the floor and brakes were not working as normal.

Looked at the brake fluid, and it was very low/empty.

Put brake fluid in and filled it to the MAX mark - took almost the entire 12 oz. bottle.

What do I need to do now?

The brakes work better, but not like they are supposed to.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Check for a broken line? That is the first thing i would look for. Check aroudn the dog legs, and definitely do not drive it until you find the source of the disappearing fluid.

If you added that much fluid, the system most certainly needs to be bled. Do not drive the car until it is fixed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you live in the northeast? If you do you probably blew a brakeline.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you live in the northeast? If you do you probably blew a brakeline.
[/b]
Broken line would be no brakes at all. When my line burst above the tank in winter 07 there was no braking, zero resistance in pedal. I would pump the brakes to see if the fluid level goes down, in the case of a small leak this is what would happen.
Stan

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Do I need to bleed the brakes or just pump them?

[/b]
If the fluid was low enough to ingest air into the master cylinder, you most likely have a leak somewhere. You can try bleeding them first, but if you continue to lose fluid, you need to find the leak. The only reason the fluid would be that low without a leak is if all the brake pads and/or shoes are close to completely worn away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
Do I need to bleed the brakes or just pump them?

[/b]
The only reason the fluid would be that low without a leak is if all the brake pads and/or shoes are close to completely worn away.
[/b][/quote]
They are... keep putting off getting new ones...

So bleed the brakes - all 4?

:noes:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Change the pads before you ruin the rotors and calipers. But you should flush out the remaining old fluid before doing this.

When you press or screw the pistons in to make room for the new pads you will pish the old fluid back into the MC.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea what tool/socket is needed to bleed the breaks?

10mm?

Do I bleed all 4 or just the front 2?

·
Registered
834 Posts
It'd be more thorough to bleed all four...when was the last time the fluid was changed? Also...just keep in mind when changing your brakes...the 12 oz of fluid you added to refill the MC is gonna come pouring out after you push the caliper pistons back in. I had to suck a little out of the MC when I recently changed my brakes cuz the dealership filled it above the max mark when they replaced a rear cylinder under warranty a month prior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts