Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing new drums and shoes on my 2000 Taurus I noticed the aft facing boot on the brake cylinder was torn. Just curious how serious of a problem this is. I didn't have time to run out and get one and figured I would ask the Taurus experts before I tried replacing this. What if anything needs to be replaced? Can I just buy a boot? Do I need to get the part from a Ford Dealer or will O'reilly auto parts have something? How much will this cost? What is the difficulty of replacing this and is this something I can do? Detailed description of replacement would be greatly appreciated. It it matters it is the aft facing boot on the right rear assembly. Thanks in advance for all the great advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (rileygsp @ Jun 16 2009, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732844
Is it just a dust shield or does this boot serve another purpose[/b]

Here's a kit from O'Reilly's. This is the one for a 2005 Sable. I would replace it myself. Check that the wheel cylinder is working properly. When I did the brakes on my Sable one of the rear drum cylinders was froze. I had to remove it and hone it and install a kit. Coincidentally, it was the one on the right rear. :(

O'REILLY/BRAKEBEST - Rear Wheel Cylinder Kit
Item #: WCK351743
2 Per Vehicle

Limited lifetime warranty (View Details)

1" - 3.0L DOHC - 3.0L OHV - GAS ENG - 3.0L OHV - US EQPD - FLEX ENG

$6.49

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (ArkanDan @ Jun 17 2009, 05:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732905
QUOTE (rileygsp @ Jun 16 2009, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732844
Is it just a dust shield or does this boot serve another purpose[/b]

Here's a kit from O'Reilly's. This is the one for a 2005 Sable. I would replace it myself. Check that the wheel cylinder is working properly. When I did the brakes on my Sable one of the rear drum cylinders was froze. I had to remove it and hone it and install a kit. Coincidentally, it was the one on the right rear. :(

O'REILLY/BRAKEBEST - Rear Wheel Cylinder Kit
Item #: WCK351743
2 Per Vehicle

Limited lifetime warranty (View Details)

1" - 3.0L DOHC - 3.0L OHV - GAS ENG - 3.0L OHV - US EQPD - FLEX ENG

$6.49
[/b][/quote]
How do I check that the wheel cylinder is working properly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts