Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been looking and was wondering if anyone has tried this or knows how good they are. I want to dress up the calipers more, but dont kow how hot they will get and if there really is a decal / sticker that will hold up to the heat. I used the ceramic brake paint and have a good finish, so they should stick good, just worried about the heat. :dunno:
[attachmentid=28280]

What do you know about these ????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What about making a stencil and painting the logo you want with it, using a variety of colors to make it look raised font.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking of painting the letters, but found the decals and they are the same price as the can of paint. I found a place that I can have anything I want custom made for the calipers, decals are much faster and easier though.
Thanks for the input...anyone else?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I think I'd probably use the vinyl decals as masking - paint the caliper the color I want the letters, apply the letters, and paint the main caliper color. That way you get the lettering exactly right, and it'll stand up to the heat.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'd probably use the vinyl decals as masking - paint the caliper the color I want the letters, apply the letters, and paint the main caliper color. That way you get the lettering exactly right, and it'll stand up to the heat.
[/b]
:blink: DUH, I usually think of that, of course this time I didnt :dunno: . Well it looks like my next mod is on the way, once spring hits that is. My thinking list of mods for this year is getting longer each week.
THANKS. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't bother painting them. Use the method that ford_ses mentioned, but get them powdercoated.

JR
[/b]

I have had great luck with painting rotor hoods and calipers with the duplicolor caliper paint. I did the wagon calipers over 16 months ago and the paint is still great. It has lived through 1 full winter or salt and snow and a full summer of cleaning every week. I have also done a set on a grand prix that have lasted almost as long. The main thing when painting is make sure all the rust is cleaned off and then hose them down with brake cleaner spary before painting. This even worked on the rotor hoods and I will be doing that on the wagon this spring.
Taurus calipers after 1 year
[attachmentid=28286]

My sons 2001 Grand Prix with rotor hoods and calipers painted.
[attachmentid=28284] [attachmentid=28285]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job!
Will duplicolor resist the brake fluid?

Stan
[/b]
I havent had any brake fluid on the calipers yet.. :noes: . Be sure to use the duplicolor brake caliper paint, its both high temp and a ceramic paint. I would plan on changing the rotors if your going to paint the calipers. What I did on both cars is,
1) spray rach caliper down with brake cleaner and scrubbing any loose dirt, rust or crud off at the same time. I used almost a full can on each caliper.
2) scrape any rust flakes off the calipers and brackets. Spray the calipers down again and let them air dry.
3) paint the calipers while in place. Paint in light coats, thin coats on each caliper and repeat until you get a good finish.
4) let the paint dry completely before changing pads and rotors.
Everytime I wash the car, I spray the calipers with wheel cleaner and hose off the dirt with no problem. I have had a couple minor chips that I touch up with a fine brush. Its much easier to paint them that to disassemble and powder coat and the cost is much lower.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The DupliColor caliper paint stands up to brake fluid fine...the normal high-temp paint won't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts