Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Taurus gl.

I noticed that the brake booster casing has developed rust on the lower portion. (the black paint has been eaten into. Can't tell how far or bad). Brakes were bleed but not very often. Braking seems fine but the rust seems scary.

Are re-manufactured brake boosters safe to use? (any brand in particular and where to buy?)

At a shop how much would the cost be to replace this?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
It looks a lot worse than it really is -- my 97 GL had quite a bit of rust on the booster and it didn't cause any sort of harm, but if you are worried about it get a wire wheel on a cordless drill, then attack the rust, then use a spray primer ASAP onto the bare metal that you've just exposed, then spray it with some black rust-oleum. Otherwise, you can look for some rust converter, which has been covered here extensively in the past to put on it.

If you do decide to replace it, just get the cardone remanufactured unit -- they are pretty good IMHO.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Your master cylinder is probably leaking(if you have not changed it). You might want to fix that so the new one does not rust.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx!. yes i saw the cardone ones on ebay...

hmm so it's spilled (or leaked but there is any wetness) brake fluid that ate the paint. that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I wouldn't be worried too much over it. They all have paint peel off and rust. If the brakes become hard to press, in other words you are loosing vacuum assist because the brake booster is leaking, then replace it. Otherwise you're spending money you don't need to .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts