Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Been a while since I visited and if there is a post that describes my malfunction please redirect me.
In Ohio we just had a cold snap and we are hovering between 25 to 32 degrees during the day.
One morning after starting up my 04 SES the ABS brake light and the fuel cap light remained on.
Also I had no information displayed in the odometer box. Completely blank and the buttons didn’t do anything.
When the car sits in the sun for a bit everything goes back to normal.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12.5 v with the car off. When I went to use the remote start the other day, it too didn’t work.
The car was just sitting there. Haven’t replaced it since we got the car. Might be time…

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
04+ have an issue with the battery or a loose connector behind the instrument cluster causing this. It's been documented by members here that it would happen when it's cold. Definitely have the battery load tested at AutoZone or similar store.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My car had a similar problem 2 weeks after I bought it. When I would start it from sitting all night, every light on the instrument cluster would be on until I turned the car off and restarted it. The battery tested bad of course.

Funny thing is, I've had to replace the battery in every Taurus I've had. My 05 SEL had the same problem as my 04 did, my 92 SHO just wouldn't start one day, and my 97 SHO started cranking slow one day and the battery tested as having a bad cell.

The worst part about a battery going bad in these cars, if you want a Motorcraft battery their over $100! I wouldn't put anything else in it though. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,
Great info here. Thanks to all for the replies. I used to think that slow cranking was the battery change indicator, but with all of the digital stuff going on it seems like all it takes is a few drops below a certain voltage and things start getting unsettled. I don’t know if there is any real basis for my thinking but I’m sure someone out there knows how low the voltage drops when the engine is started and if that will “throw” faults. I have to say that I love my Ford for the same reason many of you do to. You can work on them yourself. I replaced the battery in my wife’s 03 Rendezvous and that turned out to be a real pain. The bolt spun in the tray, then I was taking off the inner fender bla ,bla ,bla. I ended up making my own battery tray. With the SES all I needed was an 8mm with a really long extension and all went as it should. I had everything cleaned up in about an hour (I’m a bit fastidious about cleaning the tray and terminals). I chose an Optima battery. A bit pricy but it worked well in the Buick (it sits for long periods and still starts well) Thanks Again,
Brian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.