Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has been doing this for about a week and it's got me stumped.

When driving the (!)(P) light will come on. Then after a few minutes, the ABS and TC Light (green wheel) will blink a few times and go out. Seems that it only does this once while driving.

First thing I did was pull the ABS fuse, Fuse 13.

I still have this happening so I'm not sure if it's an ABS sensor or what?

Any suggestions?

I'm going to keep driving with the ABS fuse unplugged to keep it from activating when I don't want it to because ... well ... that'd be bad to have ABS start activating when I'm trying to stop with full traction.

And NO I'm not taking it to a garage to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the exact same problem for the past year. I posted here and the consesus was a bad abs module (the computer part not the pump itself). I have not gone thru the trouble of fixing it because i grew up driving cars without the driving aids (traction control, abs, etc) and the part is about $250 from a salvage or a rubuilt unit on the internet. I understand it can be a challenge getting to the part to replace it also.

Others also said to check the fluid level in the master cylinder and each of the wheel speed sensors to make sure they were ok. I initially took it to FORD to have them hook it up to the machine to check the trouble code to see what the problem was...FORD was unable to diagnose it by doing so and the tech told me "THE ABS MODULE ISNT COMMUNICATING". FORD then quoted me 3-4 hours of labor at $95 and hour to diagnose it further with no guarantees on an outcome. I politely paid the 1/2 hour labor charge to hook it up and told them to suck it.

I personally have not had any issued whatsoever with the car stopping like a normal car without abs...the abs just wont work and the t/c control doesnt work either. My car is a 2002 with about 94000 miles on it so as you can guess I dont care to spend a lot of $ on it. Drive at your own risk, but my opinion is the brakes are still hydraulic and by putting pressure on the pedal its going to stop.

I live in a state with a vehicle safety inspection and have found that by unplugging the electrical connection into the master cylinder, the brake warning lamp goes off (!)(Brake).

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never would have even thought the ABS module.

I hear ya, I don't need the ABS to drive and, quite honestly, I feel safer without it (even if it did work fine).

Right now I have no power going to the ABS system so I feel a bit better like this - when I press the brake the only things affecting the brakes are my foot and the brake booster.

I do live in a state where it'll fail for this. I don't plan on keeping the car much longer so passing inspection isn't really important haha. Plus it'll fail for a slew of other things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts