Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted some SE/LX clear head lamp buckets for my '93 GL but unfortunatly, I NEED some NOW. So I settled for two head lamp buckets from a '94 GL sedan and a bracket from a '95 GL wagon. I paid $107.00 for everything including them taking the parts off. Other places either didnt have them or wanted $65 each for the head lamp bucket and no bracket.

A little history:
My car was wrecked slightly in the front before I purchased it. The drivers side head lamp bucket was destroyed and repalced with a cheap, non-fitting aftermarket one. Since it wouldnt fit in the regular bracket, the BROKE the original one and shoved the bucket in there, using bunge cords and string to keep it in place. Obviously, this looked like **** and didnt work worth a flip. The other (pass side) head lamp bucket was original but the bulb had become dislodged (evedently during the wreck) and melted the area around where it screws in, then broke. I replaced it with another bulb and jirry rigged (for lack of a better term) it in there, only to have it bust the very next time it rained (moisture was working its way in there). After driving around for two months with one head lamp (pointing either up in the trees or down to the front bumper), I've had enough of waiting. I was trying to hold out for some 94-95 SE/LX clear "discoballs" head lamp buckets but none came avalable in my price range (I only found one, a pass side, for $167 and I told them to FORK OFF, respectivly).

Its about 115 deg. out side so this afternoon when it cools a bit I'm going to install them. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I got them in! One side (pass) is much cleaner than the other. The drivers side is a little yellowed but they'll do until I can find some LX/SE clear ones later in life, lol. At least I can drive at night now, damn it!

Reminds me of a funny story. I left home at around 5 pm the other day, thinking I had plenty of time to go get something to eat, stop by Wal Mart, and make it home before having to drive at dusk/night with only one, barely working head lamp. Of course, Wal Mart sucked me in and wouldnt let me out until way after dark so I was driving home, hoping there were no State Patrol cars between town and the house. Of course, there was one, as I topped a hill doing about 70 mph in a 55 zone having just passed a slow moving Chevy. He slowed way down after passing me as if he were about to turn around. Then, apperently having a change of heart, let off the brakes and kept going the opposite way. Was he trying to scare me, or did he get a call at just the right time? LOL!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Lol, at least it's less dangerous to drive at night. I once saw a G1 Sable driving around. The front end apparently was wrecked. Guess what the replacement headlight was? A rectangular sealed beam (like one from an older '70s/'80s car).

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen that too, on a G1 Taurus and on a newer Mercury Topaz. There was a guy on Tempo/Topaz.com that thought it was an improvement to put them on his 1991 Tempo. Yikes.

So far they work a lot better but one is a little loose and creates a shaking effect when I go over bumps. I know I forgot a bracket so installing that should fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but still way out of my price range. I'd have to pay $200 for both, then still have to buy the bracket and pay shipping costs.

For $100, I got two decent GL lights and a bracket to install them with. Baller on a budget here.

I will keep that in mind should I come into some money and/or get a new job I've applied for.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea, I wasn't sure what you're ceiling was as far as price. That seems like a decent price for NEW clear lights. I've been looking at getting a set for my wagon, along with clear corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts