Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i just bought a Ford taurus 1996 V6 4Door sedan, i have the manual with me but im still confused im 19 years old and this is my first car. i have no clue about how to deal with cars and engine and such. if someone could please answer these questions for me.
1.) can any stereo fit in my car? what do i need? i dont know the dimension
2.) what are the dimensions of the steering wheel so i can add a cover? are all steering wheels the same?
3.) how about adding a seat cover? are dimensions necessary or are all seat covers universal?
4.) floor matts too?
5.) can i change dashboard backlight color?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
hello i just bought a Ford taurus 1996 V6 4Door sedan, i have the manual with me but im still confused im 19 years old and this is my first car. i have no clue about how to deal with cars and engine and such. if someone could please answer these questions for me.
1.) can any stereo fit in my car? what do i need? i dont know the dimension
2.) what are the dimensions of the steering wheel so i can add a cover? are all steering wheels the same?
3.) how about adding a seat cover? are dimensions necessary or are all seat covers universal?
4.) floor matts too?
5.) can i change dashboard backlight color?

thanks guys!
Welcome to the club! I have a 2004 Taurus so these answers might not be exact.

1) To change the radio you need to buy a kit that allows an aftermarket stereo to fit like this one
Ford Radio Stereo Install Dash Kit With Wire Harness 2 | eBay

2) Steering wheel covers are universal for the most part and will fit on just about any car. I have had 2 covers on my Taurus and one went on pretty easily while the other took about 15 minutes of stretching and pulling.

3) Seat covers are also universal. Just make sure you get the correct kind (bench seat, bucket seat)

4) You can get mats that fit the floor perfectly but you can also get universal mats from any auto parts store or even walmart. I have universal mats and I'm perfectly happy with them.

5) Changing the backlight color is a time consuming, rather difficult job. I know it can be done but I'm not exactly sure how.

Hope I helped you out :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thank you so much for the information!
yes i checked and i do have the kit because it also has a Sony stereo so i know its aftermarket and looks the same as the ebay page you showed me.
question is whats next? on my sony stereo theres a button that detaches it and i can put it away. do i just buy another radio or do i have to change the whole thing? thanks
btw again this is my first time owning a car and as minutes go by im learning new things thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
wow thank you so much for the information!
yes i checked and i do have the kit because it also has a Sony stereo so i know its aftermarket and looks the same as the ebay page you showed me.
question is whats next? on my sony stereo theres a button that detaches it and i can put it away. do i just buy another radio or do i have to change the whole thing? thanks
btw again this is my first time owning a car and as minutes go by im learning new things thank you
No problem. I'm only 17 so I'm learning new things about my car everyday too. As far as the radio goes, you can just pull the old one out and put a new one in. Just make sure whatever you buy is the same size as the one you pull out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see but should the new radio have to accept the whole radio system? or just any head unit that can fit would do? i was told i would have to remove the whole stereo in order to put in a new as it may not match

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i just checked the dash kit and says it fits Single Din Radios, so do i look for those specific type?

·
Registered
129 Posts
ok so i just checked the dash kit and says it fits Single Din Radios, so do i look for those specific type?
Single DIN is just the size of the radio. It is 7 inches across and 2 inches high. I still have my stock radio and I don't know much about changing them but I'm pretty sure any single DIN head unit will just plug and play. Maybe somebody else can give you a better answer though.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Single DIN is just the size of the radio. It is 7 inches across and 2 inches high. I still have my stock radio and I don't know much about changing them but I'm pretty sure any single DIN head unit will just plug and play. Maybe somebody else can give you a better answer though.
Yup, should be able to pull out the whole unit, including what's in back of the stereo faceplate, and replace it with a single DIN unit. Any reason why you need a new one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it is a single din unit, i bought it with a new dash kit installed. um well ipod control and bluetooth are key features.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
well it is a single din unit, i bought it with a new dash kit installed. um well ipod control and bluetooth are key features.
Definitely worth the upgrade then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts