Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I finally got all the parts to have the sho front end on my 92 lx. i was running around and the car stalled (no lights on the dash) it acted like the battery or starter was wore out when I tried to restart it. I pushed it to the side of the road and my favorite machine shops owners brother stopped to help me and we found out i ran out of oil. We got it started but now the bottom end sounds bad (mechanic says the main bearings and crank journals are scored) so i was wondering 2 things 1 is there anything short of tearing into the block and replacing bearings and cleaning up crank journals i can do to get the noise (kind of a knocking/rattling) to stop. i was thinking of that restore stuff but dont think it will fix it but maybe it can be a crutch til i can get it fixed. 2 why didnt my oil light come on????? i was told to get a oil pressure gauge and watch it like a hawk and as soon as the noise gets worse to park it til i can get it fixed. i was planning on rebuilding the motor with the morana kit and stroking it but now i dont know if i shouldnt just buy a motor from the a junkyard and swap it in?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i love my car and wont sell it. Car me nutz but I am in love with this car it still runs it just makes noise when the car is idleing or under serious load (going up hill full of people).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Either get a new/used engine or a new/used car.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Engine/Car

Either get a new/used engine or a new/used car.
I second that:

At my Pick-A-Part, there are engines just sitting on the ground in front of the cars. Pulled to get transmission. Very few engines gone.

I got this from a '03 Sable with 44K miles, hit in the front and rear, but not all that bad.

Blend door motor
Blower motor and control
Sun roof
2 really nice wheels, match for my cars. $5 +core.

The engine a DOHC is just sitting there on the ground, stripped of some easy to remove parts.

If I got a used, 3.8L I would remove the pan and check bearings, replace the gasket, check oil screen.
Replace head gaskets. They are noted for failure, and much easier to do outside the car.

Use care in putting the distibuter in proper gear index. Helps to mark it before removal, then put it back exactly where your found it, without turning the crank while doing the job.

Way ahead of fixing the old abused engine. I know of a one idled for maybe 5 minutes without oil and it had noises after, but still ran for a while.

My daughter had a 302 with a valve cover leak and ran it without oil in stop light driving till it quit at a light. After cooling for quite a while she got someone to help put more oil in and drove it on. I traded her out of it and gave to my son who got out of the military and needed wheels. Ran a long, long time with no noise.

Just never know.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Don't bother putting in "miracle goop" that promises to fix engine noises. At best, these will plug up your system even more and just waste your money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you have a bottom end noise now, it will only get worse as time goes along. you can try using a heavy oil like 20w50, and add a can or two of STP or other motor honey, but chances are that the bottom end is toast.

my advice since you want to keep the car is to pull the motor now and tear it down, and build it like you want. if you continue to drive the car the way it is now, you run the risk of causing damage to the block as well, and that is harder to repair.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I think your best bet is to sell the car for what you can get for it, and find yourself another Taurus.

Be sure to disclose the engine issues to any possible buyers if you decide on that :D

RockAuto has the lower end kit for $700. It might be worth considering, if you're going to hold on to the car. If you only plan on keeping the car for a few years, toss a wrecker engine in for a few hundred and call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts