Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres is a system i 'put together' and i wanted everyones opinion on it.

-Two Pairs 'Boston NX 87' 5x7 for the door and rear deck

-one( or two) 12" 'Boston Competitor 1200' sub

-a pair of 'Boston Neo 3r System Rally Imaging System' (tweeters)

-one 'Boston GT-42' Amp for the 5x7s ( Multi-Ch. Power @ 2-ohm [12.6VDC] 4x120w)

-one 'Boston GT-20' Amp for the tweeters (Multi-Ch. Power @ 2-ohm [12.6VDC] 2x80w)

-one 'Boston GT-22' Amp for the sub (dual mono power @ 2-ohm [12.6VDC] / 1x390w)

and either the Sony CDX-M800 head and Sony CDX-757MX CD changer

or the Alpine CDA-9820XM head and the Alpine CHA-S634 Ai-NET CD changer


the package total comes to $2906.87 with the Alpine head/cd package and one sub

$3126.82 for same as above just 2 subs instead of one


tell me what you think, is the package a good mix? am i forgeting something? do i really need 3 amps? would i be paying to much? any ideas are a help

Thanks,

Roland
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
id personally go with the alpine head unit and changer... im not too up on boston stuff... hopefully someone else around here is...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
346 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Mar 22 2004, 02:01 PM
id personally go with the alpine head unit and changer... im not too up on boston stuff... hopefully someone else around here is...
Don't ask me, I just heard they were high-end (I think second to MB Quarts) so since they were within my budget I went with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Well, if you really want an awesome SQ system then get the boston amps. I'd suggest just going with a decent name brand to save some cash. The boston subs are pretty impressive, I heard a mean pair of 10" boston generator subs. They weren't too great on the deepest notes but definitely not bad for a 10. Here I would also suggest going with a decent name brand sub. I have a pair of boston 5 X 7's in my car and I love them. I'm planning on swapping out the infinity components up front for a boston rally component set. I would also go with an Alpine head unit, I love my CDA 9813. Anything in that range should be fine for that setup.
QUOTE
Xee Posted on Mar 22 2004, 05:20 PM
  QUOTE (afi292 @ Mar 22 2004, 02:01 PM)
id personally go with the alpine head unit and changer... im not too up on boston stuff... hopefully someone else around here is... 


Don't ask me, I just heard they were high-end (I think second to MB Quarts) so since they were within my budget I went with them. [/b]
BTW I've heard the MB's and i'd have to say I didn't like how they sounded. Definitely up there in the SQ department but IMO the bostons edge them out. I also verified this with my friends while we were in the show room having a listen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,359 Posts
You don't want two tweeters, that will mess up your staging. Get a good set of 6.5" components for the front (they are not very hard to install in the 5x7 slots...just cut out two wooden rings for the midbass out of 1/2" MDF and that will space them out and they'll sit in there okay). With a component system you get a crossover as well and you only need one amp. Give your component set at least 50 watts RMS, if not 100 (depends on the comp's power handling). My suggestions:

CDT Audio CL-61 (silk dome)
Kicker Resolution RSc (titanium)
JL Audio XR (titanium)
Focal Polyglass (titanium)

A silk-dome tweeter will give you a softer sound where a titanium will give you a brighter one. I've heard all those comp sets above, and the tweeters are not too harsh for normal listening (to me anyway). My personal favourite is the Focal. I personally would not bother too much with the rear speakers just get a pair of okay coaxials like infinity references. Just run them off the deck's power.

As for decks, Alpine is top. Also look at Eclipse, Clarion, and the high end Pioneer are good too. Sony is okay but not the best for your dollar as they are more about flashy looks than sound quality (the Xplod anyway, the older Mobile ES are excellent). Blaupunkt Skyline decks are great too. Kenwood, same as Sony, it's mostly show.

My favourite amps (high quality...these are between dog poop and the cream cheese)

Anything made by Directed Electronics (Directed, Orion, Precision Power)
Cadence
Avionixx
JL Audio
Sony Mobile ES
Visonik/Mobile Authority (note: will not do full rated power but still good amps)
Soundstream (note: the older Reference Series, Rubicon, and the new high end Van Gogh amps are great. Soundstream was bought out by Power Acoustik which builds cookie cutter amps at best, and they make their lower end amps and rebadge them as Soundstream).
For a better value, get an MTX or JBL amp. They will do rated power and are worth every cent.

Kenwood, Profile, Sony Xplod (newer ones), Power Acoustik/Fahrenheit, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Audiobahn, etc. are not bad but IMO much better deals can be had. RF and Kicker used to be great, their quality has suffered over the past while as they move towards bling and less quality. Expect these amps to work but they won't do full rated power usually (often rated at 14.4V or higher, even as high as 17-18 volts which your electrical system will never see!)

I'm sure there are a lot of really good amps I'm forgetting.

As for subwoofers...some great ones out there. I'd recommend one of these with 500-1000 watts and it'll kick it up hardcore.

Resonant Engineering XXX - great subs, run 350-450 depending on the size you want plus shipping. This thing is known to give the JL W7 (over $1000 retail) a run for its money and then some, with better SPL. www.respl.com

Elemental Designs eA series - great subs but unfortunately the company has been having problems with the flat cones they are using on the subs...they can't take the abuse. So they're being redesigned. www.edesignaudio.com

Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 - these have been getting rave reviews for their build quality, low frequency extension and transient response. A member of this forum, hoss, has 4 of these. They are loud. www.stereointegrity.com

Adire Brahma MkII - Another sub receiving high praise. Outstanding sound quality, ridiculously loud, good sub. www.adireaudio.com





How much do you really wanna spend on a system? If you are serious about spending 3 grand, you could have a really insane setup. But I know you could have a great sounding, ridiculously loud system for under $1000 that will school the one you just posted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
390 Posts
boston is nice unit. my speaker sys is off boston acoustics. i do not have the amp but have heard real good reviews of it. only down side is that this crap is expensive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by FVT@Mar 23 2004, 01:23 AM
boston is nice unit. my speaker sys is off boston acoustics. i do not have the amp but have heard real good reviews of it. only down side is that this crap is expensive
You better believe it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 23 2004, 01:05 AM
You don't want two tweeters, that will mess up your staging. Get a good set of 6.5" components for the front (they are not very hard to install in the 5x7 slots...just cut out two wooden rings for the midbass out of 1/2" MDF and that will space them out and they'll sit in there okay). With a component system you get a crossover as well and you only need one amp. Give your component set at least 50 watts RMS, if not 100 (depends on the comp's power handling). My suggestions:

CDT Audio CL-61 (silk dome)
Kicker Resolution RSc (titanium)
JL Audio XR (titanium)
Focal Polyglass (titanium)

A silk-dome tweeter will give you a softer sound where a titanium will give you a brighter one. I've heard all those comp sets above, and the tweeters are not too harsh for normal listening (to me anyway). My personal favourite is the Focal. I personally would not bother too much with the rear speakers just get a pair of okay coaxials like infinity references. Just run them off the deck's power.

As for decks, Alpine is top. Also look at Eclipse, Clarion, and the high end Pioneer are good too. Sony is okay but not the best for your dollar as they are more about flashy looks than sound quality (the Xplod anyway, the older Mobile ES are excellent). Blaupunkt Skyline decks are great too. Kenwood, same as Sony, it's mostly show.

My favourite amps (high quality...these are between dog poop and the cream cheese)

Anything made by Directed Electronics (Directed, Orion, Precision Power)
Cadence
Avionixx
JL Audio
Sony Mobile ES
Visonik/Mobile Authority (note: will not do full rated power but still good amps)
Soundstream (note: the older Reference Series, Rubicon, and the new high end Van Gogh amps are great. Soundstream was bought out by Power Acoustik which builds cookie cutter amps at best, and they make their lower end amps and rebadge them as Soundstream).
For a better value, get an MTX or JBL amp. They will do rated power and are worth every cent.

Kenwood, Profile, Sony Xplod (newer ones), Power Acoustik/Fahrenheit, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Audiobahn, etc. are not bad but IMO much better deals can be had. RF and Kicker used to be great, their quality has suffered over the past while as they move towards bling and less quality. Expect these amps to work but they won't do full rated power usually (often rated at 14.4V or higher, even as high as 17-18 volts which your electrical system will never see!)

I'm sure there are a lot of really good amps I'm forgetting.

As for subwoofers...some great ones out there. I'd recommend one of these with 500-1000 watts and it'll kick it up hardcore.

Resonant Engineering XXX - great subs, run 350-450 depending on the size you want plus shipping. This thing is known to give the JL W7 (over $1000 retail) a run for its money and then some, with better SPL. www.respl.com

Elemental Designs eA series - great subs but unfortunately the company has been having problems with the flat cones they are using on the subs...they can't take the abuse. So they're being redesigned. www.edesignaudio.com

Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 - these have been getting rave reviews for their build quality, low frequency extension and transient response. A member of this forum, hoss, has 4 of these. They are loud. www.stereointegrity.com

Adire Brahma MkII - Another sub receiving high praise. Outstanding sound quality, ridiculously loud, good sub. www.adireaudio.com





How much do you really wanna spend on a system? If you are serious about spending 3 grand, you could have a really insane setup. But I know you could have a great sounding, ridiculously loud system for under $1000 that will school the one you just posted.
I also heard eclipse decks are good too.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top