Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others have said how they dislike the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, but since my car looks like it has NEVER had it's spark plugs changed I decided to try them. I replaced the plugs and the wires at the same time (the clips stayed on 2 of the plugs when I removed the old ones). They seem to give better performance. I can tell there a lot fewer misses with them.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've used them in my 1993 Dodge Inteprid, and my 1993 Mitsubishi Diamante and I currently have them installed in my 1998 Taurus and I've never had a problem, and I've noticed an increase in performance since i've used them, I highly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The thing is that you probably would notice the same thing with just regular motorcrafts and new wires/cap/rotor. I put them in my taurus and it ran like crap and threw CEL's. If they work for you thats all that matters though.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Ideally you are going for no misses. I dunno about the Vulcans but I tried them in my Duratec and the engine was loud and rough. I thought I broke it (again) until I tried some of the Motorcraft OEM platinum plugs, and it quieted right down and got really smooth again.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Dec 9 2003, 01:39 AM
Ideally you are going for no misses. I dunno about the Vulcans but I tried them in my Duratec and the engine was loud and rough. I thought I broke it (again) until I tried some of the Motorcraft OEM platinum plugs, and it quieted right down and got really smooth again.
My vulcan ran ok with the +4's but I did notice a little shake in the idle. A little rough for my taste. After about 30k I changed the plugs again, only this time I went with the OEM platinum Motorcraft plugs and things are much smoother now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you download the shoshop catalog and read the little side notes through out the catalog they say that the motorcraft plugs use something special in them that makes them unique and you should only use them as replacement.

I know when I had +4s in my vulcan it didn't idle very nice. Right now i still have AC Delco coppers in because I was troubleshooting something. I need to get some oem motorcrafts and swap them again.

Also isn't the recommended plug for a duratec a motorcraft copper plug not a platinum?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've heard the +4s are no good for most car engines, supposedly they do no good at all unless you are running a hot rod, they can even hurt performance. plus they are expensive!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Dec 9 2003, 12:42 PM
Also isn't the recommended plug for a duratec a motorcraft copper plug not a platinum?
Where did you get that info. You have me curious now. I would think the Duratec would take a platinum plug.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i've been running the +4's for about 5000 mi and never really noticed a difference. It was the first plug/wire change the car had (68000 mi). This thread is making me wanna try new OEMs just to see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I went to the ford dealer and the guy there told me that the only one listed on their computer was platinum

I am currently running autolite platinum and they seem to be fine but i was considering NGKs becaus ethey seem to have good track record

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Dec 9 2003, 12:42 PM
If you download the shoshop catalog and read the little side notes through out the catalog they say that the motorcraft plugs use something special in them that makes them unique and you should only use them as replacement.

I know when I had +4s in my vulcan it didn't idle very nice. Right now i still have AC Delco coppers in because I was troubleshooting something. I need to get some oem motorcrafts and swap them again.

For the SHO motors only the original motorcraft sparkplugs is the correct length for the wires to seal correctly on the top of sparkplug wells. The bosch is a hair too long and the seals will let water into the wells and cause the spark to short to the heads and cause misses.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts