Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got bored one day and decided to take a video. I know shes no race car but she sure delivers what is needed. I still think she could deliver more power but thats a different story. With 198,322 miles, original engine, i think she's doing pretty well.

The only mods are a speedo-swap from an SHO and a K&N filter.

Sorry for bad quality. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just got bored one day and decided to take a video. I know shes no race car but she sure delivers what is needed. I still think she could deliver more power but thats a different story. With 198,322 miles, original engine, i think she's doing pretty well.

The only mods are a speedo-swap from an SHO and a K&N filter.

Sorry for bad quality. :D

YouTube - 1995 Mercury Sable 3.0 0-70
LOL at your doing a 0-70 with the gas light on. Meanwhile, I'm scared I'll run out of gas on my way to the gas station 3/4 miles away!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There hasnt been a time ive run out of gas with the light on lol

I think ive gone over what is estimated for mpg and still haven't run out of gas!!

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Always keep at least a quarter tank of gas. Fuel pump depends on surrounding fuel to help cool it. Running on fumes all the time can and will shorten fuel pump life.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a '94 Sable with the 3.8L and it was one of my favorite cars. 200K+ miles until a bad head gasket and transmission problems forced an upgrade.

I could be wrong but when I replaced my fuel pump I thought it was in a small reservoir within the tank so that during cornering or braking (or extreme Vulcan acceleration!) when the gas sloshed around the pump was still submerged in gas. If that's true then wouldn't it always be surounded by gas until you did in fact run out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting point hornswaggle. I dont usually push the car much past the point when the fuel light comes on but there have been times that surprised me. So far everything is okay with the fuel pump so maybe its just luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
That "reservoir" (isnt really a reservoir, it is just a baffle) in the tank is just to keep fuel at the pickup under acceleration, braking, cornering when level is low. Under normal driving, level in the reservoir is the same as the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That makes sense, Thanks Jeff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts