Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all,

does any1know if there is a body kit,altezza tails, etc for a 1995 Mercury Sable?

also is it possible to change my speedometer so it reads higher than 85 mph or do I have to adjust alot of settings and add some engine work? I'd like it to read 120 like my parents 2000 taurus so when i race i can actually tell how fast i'm going b/c i've been clocked doin 97 before but it(the speedometer) only goes up to 85 so i got out of that ticket...sorta.

thanx,
Derek

·
Registered
486 Posts
There is a body kit, its made by stillen, I am sure someone will post a link for ya cause I dont know the site. The only tauruses they currently make altezza's for right now are the Gen IV tauruses (00-04). As for the spedometer, I believe you can put a 140mph sho one in there and it is just plug and play, but I am not positive, I am sure someone else will come in and correct me. But I do know that there will be no engine work needed to change it.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Welcome to the TCCA!!! :)

I cant answer about the Body kit or the lights as my knowledge of the Gen2 (92-95) is limited but i'm fairly certain i have seen other Gen2 owners replace their 85mph Speedo with the SHO's 140MPH speedo. Its as simple as removing and replacing with the SHO one from what i understand, no modifications needed.

I'm sure some Gen2 owners will chime in and correct me if i'm wrong and also tell you more about the lights and the body kit(s).

Hope you enjoy it here and don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Yes, the speedometer is plug-and-play with any '90-'95 Taurus/Sable and early model Windstars (they got 120 MPH speedos). There's tutorials on how to do it in the Modification section. I found a cop speedometer in the junkyard and it works and looks fine (see pic below)! The SHO speedo is the same, except less divisions ('92-'95 models) and it doesn't say "Certified Calibration"). Some units have the 100k odometer and some have a million-mile odometer (1994 seems to be the year the trasition took place). And some glow green ('90/'91 models) and some glow blue ('92-'95 models).

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=88578&filename=Cluster.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='300' class='attach' />[/url]

About the body kit, you can use ('89-'91 aka G1) SHO side skirts, but I'm not sure about the bumpers. The ('92-'95 aka G2) SHO front bumper will fit, but you'd loose the lightbar (which I find to be the best aesthetic feature of the Sable). The G2 SHO rear bumper might fit (since it's a Taurus from the windshield back), but I'm not sure. The Stillen front bumper won't work on the front since it's design for the Taurus L/GL/LX/SE and the Taurus is slightly different from a Sable. There are no Altezzas available for the your car, but you could tint your lights. IMO, the Sable is too classy for Altezzas (I'll probably get flamed for that statment, but it's my opinion). You could get SHO tinted headlight covers since the G2 SHO uses the Sable's front end (except for the motor/drivetrain and bumper).

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Actually, at the first ROTB in Canada, a guy showed up with a dropped Sable with the Stillen fascia. I have a crappy pic somewhere.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i found that kit on www.stillen.com but i am not sure. also will rims from a 2000 taurus fit a 95 sable?

thanx B)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by sable_punk02@Jun 30 2004, 12:43 PM
i think i found that kit on www.stillen.com but i am not sure. also will rims from a 2000 taurus fit a 95 sable?

thanx B)
All Taurus, Sable, '94+ Ford Windstar, '89-97 & '02-Present Thunderbird (88 and older was a 4x108), Lincoln LS/Continental/Mark VIII, '90-92 Dodge Monaco, Jaguar '99+ S-Type / '02+ X-Type, 89-97 Mercury Cougar, '86-96 Mercury Mystique, and some Volvos are interchangeable (with the exception that Gen4 requires at least a 16" rims because of the size of the brakes)

It is a 5x108 pattern w/ a general offset of 35-42mm

So to answer your question, yes they will fit.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 30 2004, 03:23 PM
Any Taurus/Sable is too classy for altezzas...they look cheap (sorry Sarah)...

JR
:p ..... i'll say it again... " i don't like my car looking like all the other million taurus's driving around my town." :p ...so there. ;)

Welcome to the club sable_punk02

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok just a question, a taurus is too classy for altezzas but a lexus/altezza isnt?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by rudedog@Jul 12 2004, 02:04 AM
both the sho's look hot at night TB!! cool pics.
Actually, that's Justin's Sable GS and my Taurus GL, before my "aerodynamic agendae." That's from the first Running of the Bulls, Niagara Falls, when a grand total of *gasp* 6 cars showed. Great time though. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
The sad (or crazy) thing is... Justin was never a member of this board. He heard from a friend of a friend about the meet and showed up.

But anyway, the kit will fit Sables with some tweaking. There's a small ridge on the back of the Stillen kit that fits into the topmost groove on the 2G's front bumper. It rides this groove all the way around the fascia to maintain the alignment of the kit.

It's urethane, so all you'd have to do is get out a utility knife and cut it down. There's no danger of slicing throught the kit, you'd have to press really hard to cut through the front.

And thanks rudedog, that's my pic. There's more in my SFO account (click the link in the sig.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts