Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a blu ray player. Ive been looking online and a lot people recommend the ps3. Im looking for the best picture and sound quality i can get. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Panasonic Blu-Ray players are nice since they have a fast load time and of course, good quality.

Some other Blu-Ray players have unreasonably slow load times because of the amount of data it loads into memory first.

The Sony PS3 is fast too since it has the cell processor so it can work decently.

Me - I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray SATA Drive in my PC. It was cheap, but I assume you want for a home theater and not a PC (Unless you wanna make a pimped out Media Center PC)

I would highly recommending reading user reviews from individual products though, like check circuitcity.com or bestbuy.com (or whichever your favorite retailer is), find a player that interests you, then google search that model number to see if you can see whether people like it or not. :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I bought the PS3 (40GB) and use it as a Blu-Ray player. IMHO, it's pretty damn awesome. The quality is amazing, it's got built in HDMI outputs, and it's cheaper than many inferior Blu-Ray players out there, PLUS, you get a PS3!

The only issue I have with it is that there's a known problem with using HDMI and Samsung TVs, in that sometimes the PS3 can't change its video mode fast enough, so the TV things it's getting a video mode that it can't understand, and then you have to reset the PS3. I think they're trying to address it via a firmware upgrade to the TV, though.

Also, spend the $30 and get a DVD remote for the PS3. Using the controllers SUCKS! On that, the PS3 uses Bluetooth for its controllers and remotes, so you can't use a universal without some hacks. You can get an IR remote for a PS2, and somehow use that to enable the use of universals, but I haven't tried it, yet.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Get the PS3. As for the Samsung thing.. I have a Samsung HDTV, and I've never had a problem using the HDMI input with the PS3...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The only issue I have with it is that there's a known problem with using HDMI and Samsung TVs, in that sometimes the PS3 can't change its video mode fast enough, so the TV things it's getting a video mode that it can't understand, and then you have to reset the PS3. I think they're trying to address it via a firmware upgrade to the TV, though.
[/b]
I've never had any problem with mine... It always switches to "game mode" when I start up my Ps3 which is just the extra fast processing mode...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
One of my friends got a PS3 and a sony bravia HDTV and the picture quality is amazing!! Now I cant wait until he gets surround sound.

My vote goes to the PS3. You cant go wrong with a really good Blu-ray player and a game console all in one.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Get a xbox 360 and a HD DVD player! oh wait... that died...

Yeah, if your going Blu-Ray, PS3 all the way, you can't beat it for the money. $400 for a new one with a 80 gig, $500 for a 160 gig, and you can find them used for ~$300-350

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Get a xbox 360 and a HD DVD player! oh wait... that died...

[/b]
Mmm, HD-DVD is going to make a comeback, just you watch :lol2:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There was a Magnavox Blu-Ray for $128 at wally world...nothing too special :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts