Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical question I know, I just dont want to tear all the way down to the block and not need to replace it.

DTC: P0304 (misfire cylinder 4)

White smoke coming in puffs consistantly out of my exhaust.

Car's been running rough since this morning, and has been driven approximately 3.5 hours, 110 miles.

Trouble code appeared at about 5 pm.

Oil looks normal, coolant is low.

Sound like it?

·
Super Moderator
8,663 Posts
Does the white smoke smell like burnt sugar?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like it, I'd try a compression test to help point you in the right direction.

:thumb: cause it does sound like it are you sure it smell like sugar. thoght blue oil burning smoke smell real bad and is a sign the gasket for the valve is bad. this can be diagnosed with a compression tester. and is a heck of a lot easyier then a head gasket to repair because i suggest replacing them when you do the head it self.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep its doesnt smell like burnt oil.

I did an at home test my Uncle suggested, he was a mechanic for about 20 years until he started getting screwed on which jobs he was given.

Allow the car to reach operating temperature (If possible), and rev the engine. If bubbles appear in the overflow tank, then compessed air from the cylinder is being forced into the cooling system. At higher RPMs it looked like a boiling pot in there.

It also does smell like burnt suger, kinda good in my opinion, but its bad for the car :(

Now I am fairly certian that it is the headgasket. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
8,663 Posts
Yup, you have a blown HG :(

Was the engine overheated?

·
Registered
587 Posts
good to hear you tracked it down but sorry for the loss of doe-ray-me. to repair it or get another car yes was it over heating is another question? this is why i was wondering if it was burning oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts