Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to the club from south Texas Have a 2006 taurus with the regular gas engine it has 59950 miles on it and i think the engine is shot. Lend the car to a friend to go out of town and he brought it pulling he told me it just stopped and could not get it moving i started the car up and it makes a loud mechanical sound, the dash reads low engine oil pressure,is it shot? if it is how do i swap it ive swapped rear wheel drive engines but not front wheel drives! any suggestions

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I would verify the engine has oil. if it has oil then its likely the oil pump is shot. with little to no oil pressure the engine will not get lubed properly. this causes metal to metal contact on critical components. ( bearings, rods, crankshaft, pistons etc.... )
how much damage is done can only be known if the engine gets torn down. if you do that you might as well rebuild it. so finding a low mileage 04-07 would be the cheaper route to go. ideally an 06-07.
doing an engine swap on fwd is not that bad of a job. its similar to rwd so dont let it scare you. while you got the engine out it would be a good time to change the fluid in the torque converter, trans pan and filter.
being an 06, the engine you have is a 3.0 ohv. aka vulcan.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
after thought. if it is the pump that is bad, you could fix it and start it up and see if it still makes noise, do a compression test and see if you just have some wear. engine might still be drivable for another 50000 miles. if it doesnt fix the issue then you have a new pump for the replacement engine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine was run without oil and had a loud knocking sound

It seized up and even though I got it running again it was shot. Got another engine looking on www.car-part.com. Put your zip code or local area and search. Called several junk yards and got a 60K engine for about $600. Might want to go that route if yours is really shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts