Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus. I have noticed that periodically the blower would stop working. I would then move the dial from vent to off and then back to vent and it would start blowing again. Today, I noticed that the blower no longer works even if I switch it off and then back on. Any ideas how I should go about troubleshooting/fixing this?
thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like you're sporting the same problem my 02 Sable is experiencing. Motor finally stopped altogether.
Check fuses first.... one 40amp (slot 8) and one 10amp (slot 28... I think. check cover.)
Relay switch is on the same fuse panel. It's unlikely this item went bad.... but worth considering should all else fail.

Replace motor and resistor at the same time. Order motor with newer design AND lifetime warranty.

Newer motors have the squirrel cage fan blade already attached. Otherwise, the old fan cage prys off and remounts easily.

Very easy to get to. Remove glove box door to make it even easier.

Check biofilter mount per manufacturer to see if a silicone repair is necessary to avoid a future failure. The filter is mounted beneath the wiper motor/linkage vanity cover on the firewall/passenger side.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:huh: They are relatively easy to replace. About $70 average price. My old one was nearly worn out after 9 years, you really need a new one because of safety.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sometimes the internal bearings on the fan hub might wear out, or the brushes on the motor itself.

When mine quit, the motor brushes had disintegrated. When I pulled the blower motor out, with it came a huge pile of what was the motor's contact brushes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up replacing the blower motor but that didn't help the problem. I pulled the blower relay out of the cabin fuse box and it was burned. Where the relay plugs into the fuse box was somewhat melted as well. I bought a new relay and plugged it in. The blower came on and then went off again. I wiggled the relay and the blower comes on again. It seems like there may be some damage in the fuse box.
Is it fairly straightforward to replace the fuse box with one from a salvage yard?
By the way, I left the old motor in since it didn't seem to be the problem. Yesterday I didn't have any blower. Today I do. Seems to be intermittent.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I don't know if this is the same for the Gen 4's, but on my Gen 3 there was a relay in the engine bay fuse panel for the blower motor, and the contacts for it had corroded and it burnt itself out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts