Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks this is my issue

i have a 96 with the vulcan motor

when i leave the blower on high with the ac on for more then 5 or 6 minutes it blows the relay for the blower motor.

its just with the ac on!

was wondering if this is a normal problem or is it just mine and wondering about a fix?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What do you mean it "blows the relay"? Do you have to replace the relay then? Or does it blow the fuse?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
it blows the fuse or relay that goes in the engine bay near the radiator I believe it is the relay 1*1 black box and plugs in to the fuse box

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
bump

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a similar problem with my blower motor relay on my 1997 SHO.

For a time I would just wiggle the relay and it would work for a little while. I should have removed the relay right away and inspected it.

After a week of that nonsense I pulled the relay out and I discovered one of the contacts was over heating. This is a result of making poor contact. The fuse never blew, the problem with the relay mimics the action of turning a switch on and off (intermittent opening and closing of a switch).

At any rate, I replaced the relay and had no further problems with it.

You should inspect the relay socket for heat related damage. Clean it up and make sure that it will make good contact in the future. Determine which contact is going bad, if it is just the internal coil of the relay going bad or bad internal solder joint then no big deal.

I would get a new relay no matter what the case.

If it is the high current switching path that applies 12 volts to the blower motor take care to rectify any issues with connectivity. Discoloring of the wires is a bad thing. It may be necessary to replace slide on connection in the relay socket.

It's important to remember that the relay is in place so that this sort of damage won't happen at the switch, instead at the easily replaceable relay (hopefully).

Hope this helps,
92SHO97SHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts