Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gee I'll tell ya....it use to be when you bought a new car you could forget about problems for at least the first 3 or 4 years! I bought my '03 SE brand new and it has already gone through rotors and blown an oil pan gasket. Now, I continue to have problems with the transaxle light coming on and blinking.
The line from several dealerships is that this is "normal" and that the transmission is simply "adjusting itself". OK, I'll buy that a few times but the car now has almost 11,000 miles on it...it should be adjusted by now. Anyone else having this problem? It's going back to the dealer...again. I'm going on vacation next week to the Smokey Mountains.....but I'm not going to chance taking this "new" car-I'll take our older Chevrolet. Personally, I just wish it would go ahead and give up a transaxle and get it over with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
that's something new, honda has that feature since 1988.
But if it's blinking either it's low on fluid/change the fluid, a ground wire that goes to one of the solenoid's are loose, or one of the solenoid's are bad, or the torque converter lock solenoid system is going.

when your tranny is learning you'll know it, mostly on a ford.
you drive the car hard for the past 2 day's and the tranny respond's slower than the new neon, then the 3rd day it's right on target, every shift point.
the light is blinking for a reason.
i had a friend who had a taurus and she said that once you reach a certain speed you could feel a slight thump , she just bought the car, and the dealer could'nt find anything, i did her t/c locking at 40mph.
it figure's they could'nt tell her but i was able too.

for your best bet, take it to a auto zone and have them check for code's, if the light blinking, there's a reason . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
I would say they are pulling a fast one on you, it doesn't come on unless there is a problem. Did you buy it new?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had my transaxle light come on and blink.. It happend this summer. I have a 2000 Lx with 56000 miles on it. I took it to AAMCO and they had no idea... All they could tell me was that it turned on when i was driving over a certain speed, 60+. I took it to Ford. They told me it was a Flex Fuel sensor. That fixed the problem for me. After that, I bought myself a transmission cooler. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did buy it new. It also-sometimes, acts like it may have a bit of a "shudder" at speeds between 30-40mph......like it's not quite sure what gear it would like to be in. I'm on vacation so I'll have plenty of time to pester my Ford dealer until I get a decent response. If nothing else, you make it a matter of record should it decide to lay down and die completely.

·
Registered
151 Posts
that shudder between 30-40 mph is the t/c locking up.
on my aunt's 97 taurus, the tranny was stuck in 2nd.
cuase the ecm/pcm knew something was wrong, then once it warmed up the t/c locked, and let me tell ya that car was slower than before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my transaxle light blinking yesterday after i put it into P. Turned the engine off/on- the blinking stopped. Is it suppose to blink or should it be steady light (like "Check Engine" for example)? The car drives perfect (knocking on the wood) but it's alarming sign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts