Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the A/C will be blowing, but it will seem to stop for short periods, today I heard the fan blowing on high but no cool air coming out of the ducts. Then it went back to normal. Any Ideas on this , or has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Not Blend Door

Sometimes the A/C will be blowing, but it will seem to stop for short periods, today I heard the fan blowing on high but no cool air coming out of the ducts. Then it went back to normal. Any Ideas on this , or has anyone else had this happen?
Blend door only selects hot or cold, not flow of air.

What you describe is vacuum control doors.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is more that the air is first comng out of the A/C vents, then all of a sudden it comes out of the heater vent..then in a few minutes it is back to the A/C vents again. This is repeated every few minutes, the A/C still blows cold... it just switches from floor... to vents... and back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
The mode is vacuum controlled. If vac supply to system is lost, it will default to defrost. Since yours randomly switches floor / vents / etc, I would guess the vac switch is leaking / failing. Pick up a new one at the JY for cheap and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i am having the same problem and it always happens when accelerate the car, its due to vac leak and waiting for a right time to fix it

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
vacuum leak

i am having the same problem and it always happens when accelerate the car, its due to vac leak and waiting for a right time to fix it
The car has a vacuum storage can and a check valve to provide enough vacuum to keep the climate control working during hard accel. Sounds like a leak after the check valve.

I am not sure where it is located, others might chime in.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info..I'll try rockauto for the part. would like to know where the vac. check valve is though, the can as well.
I found a vacuum control valve under the A/C system, Ford part number...F3TH19A563AA. might this be the one? Also found something called the plenum chamber, I will get both parts, not a lot cost wise... hopefully I can find where they go!!!

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Both are underhood. Check valve is on pass. firewall. Vac. storage ball is inside pass. front fender. I think your problem is after both of these. Maybe a faulty vent selection switch behind the hvac control panel?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks...will replace them any way since I have them coming. I will check for vent sel. switch problem..( do you mean the switch that is on the football?) or somewhere else back there.
More info on the vent selection switch please...exactly what is it called and where is it located? trying to find replacement. Need more info.

Have Gen 3 OEM Ford service manual software ordered..will check there also.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Yes, behind the knob on the football. Slide out with din keys (radio removal tools). I would also check the white vacuum plug below the glove box attached to evaporator box. Its visible from looking up from pass. floorboard. Make sure all vac. hoses are connected.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do...I might have accidentaly loosened the vac hose when I was "shimmying" the switch on the resistor...(med. speed keeps going out)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts