Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the blend door actuators are a cause of many issues, especially for those of us with automatic temperature controls. Mine recently failed and sure enough, the cheap plastic/nylon gears are broken. Beyond that the unit appears to be full working order. I know you can get a new one from the dealer for around $50 but won't that one eventually fail as well? I mean, they haven't replaced the gears with better materials have they?

So that got me thinking....why can't I just replace the gears with metal or heavy duty nylon versions? Someone has to make these. If I still had my erector set from when I was a kid I could swear I had a few gears that matched.

Has anyone else done the homework on this? Do you have part numbers you can share? I'm going to start counting the teeth in hopes to find something that will replace this unit for good. BTW the motor in the unit I have is a Johnson brand Home: Johnson Motor That is still working but could be replaced if needed.

Thanks!
-Kirk

2003 SEL w/ ATC

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I believe someone mentioned there being a metal replacement kit out there. I'll check with this person...see what they say. What I don't understand is why your 2003 (and a few other 2003 owners that have posted on here) have had to have blend door repairs...and my 3 year old car, has never had any issues and has never been replaced. Weird.

FYI, some people have solved the blend door issue for awhile by running an EATC system diagnostic test. Sometimes this fixes it and buys you some time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely interested in any information for a metal replacement kit.

Unfortunately I'd like to say my 03 was not having the issue, however about a month ago I heard the tapping noise behind my radio. Disassembling my dash, removing the unit and opening it bears the truth. 3-4 gear teeth have been sheared off each of the plastic gears.

For now I have the blend door in the correct position for cooling. I've also removed the broken gears but kept the potentiometer at the full cool position and reconnected the unit (laying loose behind the radio). The intention being that I will not trigger an error code should I run w/o the blend door actuator plugged in and it being set where it thinks it should be.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:(I have a 2001 with EATC. I hate it, waiting for it to fail? I wish my car was manual Heat / Cooling! I run it on manual all the time to stop the wear and tear on the duct motors or blend doors? Too much automatic crap will eat your wallet, so run it on manual!

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Wow! $19.99 for one crappy gear? I can get a new EATC BDA for $30 or so at Advance Auto, maybe even cheaper with discount codes, etc. Hardly worth it to repair. The motor is a DC brush motor, and therefore also a wear item. When the wifes 04 SES BDA (manual climate controls) took a dump 2 years ago, it was the worm gear that had failed, not the one in the repair kit.

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Wow! $19.99 for one crappy gear? I can get a new EATC BDA for $30 or so at Advance Auto, maybe even cheaper with discount codes, etc. Hardly worth it to repair. The motor is a DC brush motor, and therefore also a wear item. When the wifes 04 SES BDA (manual climate controls) took a dump 2 years ago, it was the worm gear that had failed, not the one in the repair kit.
I got one from a wrecked with ~45K on it. ~$5 some 5 years ago. Opened it up and gears look nice. Turns out my '03 just needed reset because the battery went down and the EATC lost it's position. Car now with 145K on it and the OEM is just fine.

Pic JY one.

-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts