Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I got when I received my testing kit.

Black shipping bottle
Clear bottle for oil sample
Oil analysis slip to send back
Explaination paper
Window reminder sticker
Clear ziplock bag to put oil sample bottle into
Gray Absorbent cloth that goes in ziplock to absorb oil if a leak occurred.

**I did ship off a virgin oil sample of new Castrol Edge oil I started using. Will do a used one after 10,000 mile run.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Neat :) I've been contemplating this...what can you learn from their analysis? (and how much did it set you back?...I think I remember something like $40+ but not sure)

Is it mandatory to send in a "control" sample? (clean, new oil)

·
Registered
223 Posts
TL;DR

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat :) I've been contemplating this...what can you learn from their analysis? (and how much did it set you back?...I think I remember something like $40+ but not sure)

Is it mandatory to send in a "control" sample? (clean, new oil)
[/b]
You can learn many things like:

1. Do you have issues with a gasket causing coolant to get into the engine
2. Do you have air filtration issues
3. Do you have possible major engine trouble in the future.
4. Can you run your oil longer than you currently do.
5. What oil works best for your car in regards to wear
6. How much wear your car shows compared to other cars at different oil change intervals.
7. Do you have excess fuel in the oil

Blackstone costs 22.50 for the test plus the shipping. I sent it U.S Postal Service for $ 2.70. If you want a TBN test that is an additional 10.00. That lets you see if you can possibly run your oil longer. There are other labs that are more and less expensive.

No you do not need to send a clean oil sample. I did because I am using a new oil called Castrol Edge and I did not see any VOA's (Virgin Oil Analysis ) done on it yet. I want to see where it starts for additives and TBN. Then in 10,000 miles I am going to test the used oil to see how it held up.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Are they able to determine the weight of the oil if it's unknown?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
It's a good way to see how well an oil performs over its lifespan in your engine and also to detect any abnormal engine wear.

I know a few Subaru guys do this on their oils on a regular basis. You'd be surprised at how some of the high end $$$ oil and filters actually perform (or the lack of performance to be more specific), you wouldn't have known otherwise if you didn't do a UOA of it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com is a great forum for a ton of information about oils and stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use to do this but at the 20-30 bucks a crack it's kind of expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I use to do this but at the 20-30 bucks a crack it's kind of expensive.
[/b]
True, I don't really think it's constructive to do a UOA every oil change (well maybe if you go on 10k intervals like some guys, then maybe that's warranted), but maybe once a year (3-4 oil changes for me) would be sufficient. Of course this only applies if you use the same oil/filter combo each time. If you like to experiment with different brands and weights of oils every oil change, then maybe it'll be helpful as objective data to compare different oils...

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I've been using the Blackstone lab for ATF analysis's for the Odyssey. When I change the ATF in the Tortus (with Amsoil), I will probably send in the sample of the original Mercon in it just to see how bad of shape it was in.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
herrhaus: I see from your signature that you like to put the toys on your vehicles don't you?.................. :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I'm not a "Mod" kind of guy really. I'm not into lowering it, etc. Adding the spoiler (which is the OEM one) will be the first time that I've ever done anything (body wise) to a vehicle.

As far as toys, I have a ScanGauge and GPS. Other than that....nothing.

I don't care so much about how it looks or keeping it spotless all the time. I'm all about making sure it is running at top performance (stock) kind of guy. I'm much more concerned about what's going on under the hood than what kind of stereo it has....know what I mean. ;)

I've got 3 kids and no time brother.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you have ATF coolers and magnefines on the vehicles along with K&N filters.

Ya run the good fluids and oil filter too................... :thumb:

**I would like to see that Taurus report posted. I wonder how it will look running the magnefine filter. A comparison to Amsoil would be cool too.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I see you have ATF coolers and magnefines on the vehicles along with K&N filters.

Ya run the good fluids and oil filter too................... :thumb:

**I would like to see that Taurus report posted. I wonder how it will look running the magnefine filter. A comparison to Amsoil would be cool too.
[/b]
It will be a long time before that info is available. In the next week or so, I'm going to change out the OEM Mercon and will sample that (which I will be more than happy to share the results of 62K and 5 years on Mercon V). I will completely switch to Amsoil ATF at that point. I purchased 3 or 4 Magnefines some time ago and I'll splice one of those into the tranny return line. Then it will be at least a year before I do anything with it again. My current yearly mileage is right around 12K miles.

I haven't quite made up mind with regard to the Tru-cool cooler. I figure it is mainly just me in the vehicle for my 10 mile daily commute to work. It may get used on weekends with family, so average loading then will be higher.....other than that, it will be on "light duty". Soooooo, not sure if I really want to monkey with the cooler install. Input on this subject is welcome. I'm not beating on it. On the highway, I don't usually slouch around (75-80)....other than that, I respect the vehicle.

Have others here had testing done on ATF?

Edit (add following info): With regard to the K&N, I think they are a bit over rated. I've heard (many places) that they actually let more impurities by the filter. I think I'm going to try the Amsoil version (which is actually a WIX). Input on this is also welcome....although it probably belongs in another thread.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ Feb 28 2009, 09:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=703977
Got my first 'virgin oil" sample back for new Castrol Edge 5w-30.[/b]
I'm drinking the Amsoil "cool-aid" (for now :rolleyes: )I dumped a can of Amsoil's "Engine Flush" in her on Saturday and then drained out the dino in her. I put back 4.5 qts of Amsoil 0W-20 along with an Amsoil EAO34 filter. As far as engine oil....that should do it for this year. Maybe next weekend I'll get to the ATF.

I'll be taking a sample of the engine oil in the ODY in June and we'll see if Amsoil and thier nano-fiber filters are all they are cracked up to be.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
would this be able to detect like if your bearings or rings were starting to wear?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
244 Posts
thanks i just sent away for the kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts